Chapter 16

Chapter 16

          Mike shot up and grabbed Chester. Chester’s eyes were wide and Mike knew he was worried for him. He glanced around before shoving Chester back onto the bed.

          “Cover yourself in that stuff. Now,” Mike said quietly before walking down the stairs slowly. He saw Chester starting to bury himself in the blankets. He hurried down the steps.

          “Dad? I thought you weren’t going to be home until later. You scared me,” Mike said pretending to sound relieved.

          “Sorry I didn’t call ahead. I meant to. Anyway, how was your day?”

          “It was alright.”

          “You look a little worn out.”

          “I’m a little tired,” Mike said and then he had a bad thought. He had Chester’s scent all over him. And not just that, he had a mouth that probably smelled a lot like Chester. “I’m going to go back upstairs.”

          He almost ran up the steps. He got to the room and saw the pile where Chester was hiding. He uncovered part of the blankets to see Chester with his eyes squeezed shut whispering quietly.

          “Please don’t let him get hurt. Please don’t let him get hurt. Please.”

          Mike put a hand to the side of Chester’s face and the other boy jumped before opening his eyes, “Sshh. It’s ok. Just me. Stay here just a little longer. I’ll get you out ok? I promise.”

          Chester nodded at him and closed his eyes again, “Ok. Be careful Mikey.”

          Mike sighed and then he heard his dad coming up the stairs, “I’m going to lean back on you.”

          “Ok.”

          Mike leaned back on the blankets and pretended to be searching the internet for something. He looked up as his dad came in.

          “Your dinner Mike,” his dad said giving him the plate. Mike nodded and took the plate from him. He wanted his dad to just go out again so he could get Chester out of his room. And then something happened he wasn’t expecting.

          “Since when do you wear skinny jeans Mike?”

          He heard Chester’s sharp intake of breath and shifted on the bed to cover it, “What?”

          “Skinny jeans. Since when do you have a pair of those?”

          Mike shook his head, “I don’t know. Must have had them from awhile ago.”