Chapter 28

Chapter 28

It was Chester's birthday today. He would be turning eighteen. Mike smiled slightly at the thought of what he had gotten the other boy. He'd bought him a golden chain with CB on the end with angel wings off of each letter. He knew Chester would like it. Chester would be coming over later on in the afternoon because he said he had to wait for his dad to leave. Mike smiled as he thought of seeing that boy again. It was the 20th of March and Chester would have a good birthday. He would make sure of it. He looked down at the little ring on his finger. Chester had been so nervous when he'd asked Mike to stay with him. He'd been so sweet. It was that side that Mike didn't see very often but was now seeing so much more. He yawned and stretched out on the couch. He could get in a little nap before Chester arrived.

"Mike watch!" Chester called as he sprinted towards his motorcycle.

"Be careful!"

"Oh I will be!"

Mike watched as Chester hopped on the bike and turned into the street only to be nailed by a car coming full speed. Mike watched his boyfriend's leg get crushed before he went crashing hard to the ground in a pool of blood.

"Chester......Chester!" he screamed as he stared at the unmoving form on the ground. No, he couldn't be dead. He couldn't be. He felt tears in his eyes as he ran towards the broken form of his boyfriend. "CHESTER!"

Chester's usually bright brown eyes were glazed over and dull. He had no life left in them. Mike stared down at the boy who brought him so much joy in his life. The boy who had made his dull life brighten. He leaned over the boy's body and rested his head on Chester's chest.

"Chaz, please come back. Please don't leave me," he whispered. Chester didn't respond. He was gone. He was so gone.

"CHES!" he cried as he woke up. There was an arm around him and someone was kissing his hair and stroking his chest.

"It's ok. Just a dream. Just a dream."

"Chaz? How'd you get in?"

"Door was unlocked," Chester said softly, "Are you ok?"

"Did....Did you ride that bike here today?"

"Yea."

"Please be careful," Mike whispered, "Please be careful."

"I will be. I always am," Chester said as he held onto Mike and gently rocked back and forth, "I always am."

"Happy Birthday," Mike said quietly. Chester smiled.

"I almost thought that you'd forgotten."

"I'd never forget something like that."

Chester grinned and then gave him a hug, "So what'd you get me?"

"You're greedy! But here," Mike gave Chester the little wrapped box. Chester grinned as he opened it and his eyes widened when he saw what it was.

"Oh....Mike.... I love it," he said softly.

"Flip it over," Mike whispered and Chester turned it around and tears filled his eyes. On the back, written in the gold was 'You'll always be perfect in my eyes.' He wasn't prepared for the hug that Chester gave him.

"I love you. So much. I love you," Chester repeated over and over again. He smiled as he rubbed Chester's back. The other boy really had changed. He used to be so different.

"Happy Birthday my little angel," he said and Chester shuddered against him as more tears escaped his eyes.

"You have no idea....how much this means to me. Everything you've done for me Mikey, its too much," Chester said shaking his head, "I don't deserve it."