Chapter 2 Sick

October 5, 2005 11:34 AM

Patrick's pov

"I'm taking you to the hospital." I tell Devin. "No." She objects before coughing. "I'll come too." Andy offers. "Same." Says Joe.

"No," Devin says slamming her fist on the table, "I am not, I repeat am not, going to a hospital."

"Yes you are." EJ says with finality.

"I'm fine. This is just a cold-"

"One that has been going and getting worse for a week." I interrupt her. "Give me one more day. This is almost done I'm sure of it." She pleads. "What do you have against the hospital anyway?" Joe asks.

"Creepy doctors, sick people, crazy nurses-"

"Hey!" EJ shouts. "Are you calling me crazy?" Devin ponders a few seconds, "Not entirely.. I mean look at what you do in your spare time and the people you live with. You're also not a nurse yet. Back to hospitals that horrible antiseptic smell, needles-"

"But don't you have tattoos?" I ask.

"Yeah but that's different."

"Not really." Andy says.

"Shh." Devin hushes him. "So, from what I've gathered you just don't like to appear weak?" Pete says walking in. "How did you hear us?" Devin questions seeming a bit flustered at his words. Pete points to his ear, "I hear all." He says with an evil laugh. "That's not creepy at all." I say sarcastically, laughing nervously.

"Speaking of that," Pete begins, "who was reading at 4 in the morning?" I look around to see if there are any takers. Pete shrugs his shoulders, "I must be going crazy. But am I right Devin?"

Devin pulls her hoodie around her body tightly, clenching her fists. "No, you aren't." She straightens up and tries to look less uncomfortable. "Just drop it." I whisper to Pete.

Did I seem too defensive? Everyone has some sort of irrational fear that makes them uncomfortable. It's okay to be confused by it but never bring it up In regular conversation. Devin shoots me a grateful smile, and I smile back nervously. "Oh my goodness I'm going to be late." EJ gets up and runs toward up the stairs to her room.

"Late for what?" Joe ponders aloud. I wrack my brain for what she normally does on Tuesdays. "Too late to be going to school, so she must be working late shift at the diner." Andy says knowingly. At least someone pays attention.

I get bored trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing today and start tapping on the table. Annoyed looks shoot my way from all across the table. "Tonight we need to meet with our manager. She called and said she had some important stuff to tell us." Pete says, silencing my tapping.

"Can we meet her at the diner? That way EJ can come home with us after." Andy suggests. "Sounds good. I'll call them." Pete leaves the room. "Do you think it's a good idea for him to go out in public?" Devin asks.

"I can still hear you!" Pete shouts. "I'll be fine." he reassures before he gets too far away for us to hear. "I will never get used to that." Joe says running his hands through his hair. "I'm thinking about growing a fro. What do you think?"

"Absolutely not." EJ says re entering the room in the black pants and white shirt of her uniform. "So is that a yes then?" Joe asks mischievously. "I already deal with the other four's crazy hair. I will not allow an Afro."

"It's just fro." Joe says sassily.

"What's wrong with my hair?" Andy asks and then pouts. EJ ignores him and starts rummaging her purse. "What's wrong with mine?" Devin asks. "Where are my freaking keys?" She asks taking a dangerous tone. "For Brad?" Devin asks. EJ nods turning her purse upside down. "They're still in the car."