Chapter 17 Nothing Else Matters

10-31-05o

Pete's POV

Halloween had always been my favorite holiday.

But not this time.

And probably not ever again.

Everyone was gone in some form or another. Patrick was half alive in the hospital, everyday a battle of consciousness. Even after countless blood transfusions he still hadn't recovered. Devin and Andy were heaven knows where. They were on a mission to track and kill the Fallen Angels. Fun.

Joe tried watching out for me, but his head was always somewhere else. The transition from vampire to human had not been an easy one. For the first two days I had done nothing but vomit, sleep, and generally feel like I had the worst bout of flu ever. Joe was nice about it at least. He made chicken broth in the microwave an that was all I could eat.

Then there were the other two; indescribable EJ and the fearless AJ. They were both in comas, of sorts. AJ literally. No matter what the doctors tried she wouldn't wake up. EJ had shut down completely. She did everything in a half-hearted, emotionless way, that is, when she wasn't at the hospital. She hadn't come home in days. Joe and I thought she was sleeping there.

Nothing else mattered except that I was home, right? That was the purpose of all of this shit. Save me. Unravel Pretty.Odd. It was all pointless though. My friends were dying because of me. It was my fault, and nothing could bring them back.