Chapter 5 Car Talk

[sorry if this isn't what you were expecting because it's just a filler of how they all met. sometimes you just need a break.]

October 6, 2005 7:57 A.M

Joe's POV

"Can someone please be entertaining?" I asked. "I'm really bored." Andy sighed and continued reading. "I'm going to start being really annoying soon..." Still nobody responded to my plea. I stared out the window, watching the scenery go by. "Hey, Pete. Do you remember how we met?" I asked laughing. He didn't answer. "Why yes, Joe. I do remember. It was the best day of my life." I mocked, trying to imitate his voice.

"I knew you first." I said referring to Pete. "Then Patrick. Then Pete brought in Andy to the group." I still was being ignored, but I continued talking anyway. "So, how did we get these other two here?" I asked. I swore I heard the crickets chirping. I started laughing evilly. "Could it have perhaps been at sophomore homecoming?"

"Joe, no!"

 Devin shouted at me over and over. "Oh, the promiscuous Devin of those days still embarrass you, hmm?" She let out an audible groan, replying to my question as a yes. I laughed evilly.

"Shut up, Joe!" Patrick yelled. "How about you Pete? Do you have anything to say on the subject?" I could feel the annoyance I was causing, but I was at the point I couldn't stop. "I say you got your ass handed to you by EJ."

"Pete, really?" EJ asked, "That wasn't necessary. I've apologized several times. Can we please just drop this subject."

"Nahh."

[italics, flashback, third person]

"If Wentz can find a date then we can." Joe said directly after encouraging his awkward friend trying to dance with the girl he has had a crush on for months. "Man, I don't  know. There are a lot of people and-" Patrick mumbled nervously  but stopped as Andy said, "Why the hell not?" and walked away. "You've got this." Joe said, giving Patrick a reassuring pat on the back and walking away.

"I maintain that everything that happened that night was because of Joe." Patrick accused. "So because of me, you got a girl friend and," I gasped in mock horror, "had fun? What an outrage!" My sarcasm was a bit much even for my liking.

"It really wasn't that fun. I can't dance, or talk to the opposite gender."

"You have improved upon the latter." Andy mumbled absentmindedly, proving he was paying to the conversation.

"So..um, you know.. uh.. itsadance..and I was wondering if you want to.. uh..dance?"  Patrick stuttered nervously to a group of girls. They laughed and walked away leaving Patrick feeling less than pleased with himself. He immediately sought out his friends, but they were nowhere to be found. Patrick looked around nervously  and spotted someone waving to him from the crowd. Holy smokes! It wasn't just any girl either. He wasn't sure if the tall blonde actually meant him.

"I only dyed my hair for my mom." Devin protested, "I'd only go blonde again when Pete does."

"Why does everyone place their hair bets on me?" he asked grumpily.

"It's funnier that way."

Joe walked away despondently, rubbing his cheek where he was sure there was a red handprint. "How'd it go?" Andy asked. Joe shook his head. "She slapped me in the face."  Joe expected him to laugh, but he didn't. "Did you deserve it?"

"I deserved it, though. EJ stop apologizing. Besides not many people would stand up to a bunch of jerks for a random dude."

Joe fell to the floor after being  pushed by some jock jerk. Laughs chorused everywhere. "What is wrong with you guys?" a female voice asked pushing through the crowd. "You guys are jerks." She stooped down and offered Joe a hand up. "Are you okay?" She asked pulling him up. "Y-yeah. Fine. Wait-" Joe recognized her face. "Yeah, I know. How's your face?"  People taunted her from the background.

"Still hurts a bit."  The girl laughed, "Sorry. I'm EJ by the way."  EJ held out her hand. "Joe." Joe replied shaking her hand. They walked over to meet Andy. "Hey, I know you." Andy exclaimed. "You played Tracy in the school play."  Joe looked confused, but EJ laughed. "Yeah, I'm still coughing from all the hairspray that was used."

"I distinctly remember Andy bringing a comic book and reading that most of the time." Pete said. Andy looked up from his book. "Some things never change I suppose." I mused.

Andy looked up briefly from the comic book in his hand to find a girl sitting a few feet away from him on the bench. "Hey." was all she said. "Hi." Andy replied cautiously. She scooted closer. Andy went back to his book, not ignoring the pretty girl beside him, but sparing himself from the embarrassment of his own awkwardness. 'Why the hell not?' Andy asked himself before kissing her.

"So, to conclude, everyone got the girl. And the girls got the guys." I finished. "And they all lived happily ever after."

EJ changed the radio station and a song I have never heard played.

'I chimed in with a haven't you people ever heard of closing the goddamn door, no, it's much better face these kinds of things with a sense of poise and rationality.'