Chapter 7 Family

[really long filler, but I really enjoyed writing this. Stuff is going down soon, I have an amazing plan ]
Joe's POV
We drove up a hill in the of a forested back road. The bumps of the uneven rocks woke up Devin and Pete. Andy finally looked up from his book, pushing his glasses up to rub his eyes. We rounded a corner and pulled into the driveway of a small, mint green house.

EJ stopped the car and jumped out, sprinting towards the door. "Where are we?" Patrick mumbled sleepily. I didn't know the answer to the question so I chose to ignore it. I got out, stretched, and took in the unfamiliar surroundings. Fall had set in. The trees were on fire with oranges, yellows, and reds. Leaves were scattered across the over grown grass and narrow path way leading to the house.

I walked up the wooden steps tinted with green to the patio. EJ left the sliding glass door open, the curtain tucked on the door handle. I looked over my shoulder before entering the house, that from the outside didn't look like it could even be called a house. The others were making their way up the steps looking at everything with a sense of curiosity and caution. Maybe if EJ would've told us where we were the extreme caution wouldn't have been needed.

I walked in, the first room, the living room, not sure what to expect. It smelled musty and slightly of dog. You could tell this house hadn't been in use for awhile. A beige couch, a huge book shelf of movies and a coat hanger were in a little niche in the wall on the left. A tv sat across from it.

"Joe, let us through." Devin barked. EJ was nowhere to be found so I guessed she was in the room behind the door next to the tv. "What even is this place?" Devin asked. EJ emerged from the room I guessed her eyes slightly red and watery. "You okay?" Pete asked first. She nodded wiping her nose with the end of her sweater. "Yeah, fine. Welcome to my old house." EJ squeaked. She coughed into her elbow and magically looked back to normal.

"I know it's really small, but it'll do." She stopped a second gathering her words. "Well, sorry, Pete about your super hearing, that's going to be terrible. There are mice and even without super hearing you can hear everything outside." She paused for a second. I didn't know if anyone else could see herself mentally screaming but I could.

"I'll show you the grand tour." She said with a flutter of her  arms. "The room you're standing in now is the living room. I have an air mattress, so two people will sleep out here." She made a complete 180 and pointed to the room where the carpet turned to linoleum. "That's the kitchen. The refrigerator is empty I'm afraid, but I'll be going to get stuff later." She took a few steps across the room leading to a closed door and an open door way. She pointed to the doorway. "Dining room." It was somewhat self explanatory seeing there were 6 chairs lined against a table.

"And in here," she opened the door, "Is the bathroom. There's only one, sorry." She passed through the doorway and opened the door to the right. "Master bedroom." The walls were white, somewhat matching the light blue comforter on the queen sized bed in the corner.  "Two in here." She made her way past all of us back to the living room. I looked at little details here and there. Hanging on the wall in the kitchen was a little painted piece of wood that read, "If the world is a stage. I want better lighting." It made me smile. It made little details about EJ click into place. The acting, the love for movies, and cozy things.

"Finally, " she took a breath, "In case you were counting the lack of sleeping space, this room." Before I followed her I let the others go in front. Something was bothering Pete. I saw it when I looked into his eyes and I was going to find out.

"What's up?" I asked quietly. "Channeling, again." he muttered. I nodded my head in understanding. "Who?" As an afterthought that may have been nosy and an intrusion to both Pete's and whoever it was' privacy. But Pete didn't seem to mind. "EJ, she's a mess."