Chapter 20 Truce

November 7, 2005 8:12 PM

AJ's POV

my names blurryface and i care what you think. I stared back at myself, except it wasn't me, at least not exactly. It's eye were a bright red that glowed in the darkness surrounding me. "Nobody else does. Why should you?"

Blurryface smiled and tried to touch my shoulder, but I shrugged it off quickly. because i am you. My head rocked back and forth violently, shaking away any possibility the monster in front of me was somehow me. "You're not." I turned and ran blindly through the darkness. Like an apparition, Blurryface appeared in front of me with ease.

I ran through it and smoke swirled around me, choking my nose with a foul sulfuric stench. i am you. i am your doubt, fear, pain, and sadness. i am the you nobody but you see. and i tell the truth. The voice was everywhere and nowhere at the same time. "I just want to go home!" I yelled, but my voice was empty. The sound was swept up into something larger entirely, like a vacuum.

I thought of home; Dad, our dog, and my old room. The darkness evaporated and I was transported into a place of comfort. There was no way it could be real, the warm colors, smells, and voices chattering happily. My little black dog, Toto, so originally named from my Wizard of Oz phase,  trotted up to me. Even though I could feel her warm, silky fur in my fingers, I knew this wasn't real.

According to EJ, who's voice I'd heard on a daily basis, I was in a coma. And everything had just been in my head. For awhile I thought everything that had transpired in the last few weeks had been a horrible lucid dream because in this little prison Dad woke me up every day, I went to school, and saw all of my old friends. Dad and I would do something, like board games or cards, and he'd help with homework if necessary. It was too good to be real life.

It almost had me fooled. There wasn't family drama, bullies, or potholes. The house was a bit too clean, and whenever I slept I always heard EJ, rambling about the strangest things. Sometimes she read to me. The potholes were the biggest tip-off honestly. And when I pulled at the loose string, everything collapsed. No more Dad. Or home. Everything turned dark, and Blurryface appeared.

The façade of home disappeared in a flash of smoke. I didn't even bother to grasp after it. you're going to die. Blurryface whispered icily in my ear from behind. I shivered away. "Aren't we all?" It was pointless trying to argue with myself. If anything killed me, it would be that. i mean literally. I looked around the darkness surrounding me in bewildered haste. Absolutely nothing had changed.

"No, I'm not." I said defiantly. "I think I would know if I were- you know- dying." Fear tossed my stomach into knots whenever Blurryface got too close. It was like my own personal dementor. a dementor you created.

"Stay out of my head!" It let out an empty laugh. that's where i always am. Tired of its mind games I persisted on my earlier question. "Why do you say I'm dying. Nothing's changed." Blurryface grabbed my shouders, strong fingers digging into my skin. but i have.

It disappeared and the carpet was pulled from underneath my feet. The world flipped upside down in a series of flashing colors and blinding emotions. Every few seconds, or at least what I perceived as seconds, I was in the middle of an old memory.

Spark of nerves from my first kiss. Warm blood dribbling from a scraped knee, but the tears were because of the frozen blob of dairy melting on the ground. Bodies everywhere, moshing at Warped tour.Crackling noise and background laughter from some family bonfire. The little underdeveloped anxiety of the first day of Kindergarten, then it was still just nervous. The devastating and world shattering  moment I heard the news. Was this what people referred to as "life flashing before your eyes"?

awkward. irritating. mean. clingy. Blurryface hissed into my ear. I shied away trying to ignore the all too familiar voice that reminded me of these things on a daily basis. "Stop. Not today." annoying. unlovable. weird.  immature. untalented. "I'm out of my mind." I whispered helpessly. "More like stuck in it."

I was in the place a feared the most; in front of a mirror. too short. chest not flat enough. too paleacne. crooked teeth. nose too big.  "Please, just stop." Blurryface stared back at me from the reflection. pro at imperfections. "Best friends with my doubt." I finished.

you're no good without me. I punched the mirror furiously. There was no pain as the shattered glass fell to the ground. "Scared of my own image." I mutter. "Why?!" I yell at it. "Just when I think I'm getting over this, you-you show up again and ruin everything!"

Alarms blared. My internal alarm. you're going into shock. I couldn't control my breathing and shakes as the news sent me into a state of panic. I fell through the ground, and helplessly through the air. you don't fall slow like you used to. Blurryface was right beside me in the same state of free fall. It wrapped it's arms around me and together we plummeted. The sounds of doctors and yelling and a heart monitor beeping faster then what it should be filled the air around us.

I tried clawing my way out of Blurryface's grip. "Please!" I gasped, as hands wrapped around my throat. I shut my eyes and covered my ears with my hands. Amidst the chaos, there was a quiet little echo of a voice. Pleading, quiet, and crying it whispered.

"Stay alive, for me."

And I knew that voice better than anyone else's in the world. I forced my eyes open and met fiery red ones. "You belong to me." I state. The falling stops. I collapse on soft grass and the breath is knocked out of my lungs, but at least it was something. I stand up and find Blurryface curled in on itself a few feet away. My surroundings were too familiar; the reading tree in the middle of our local park.

"I'm sorry." I breathe. A piece of looped rope appears in my hands. I tie it around Blurryface's neck and then around the tree. "This isn't a noose, it's a leash, and I have news for you. You must obey me. You don't control me anymore."

And then it was gone. Instead of falling I was being pulled up toward the bright sun.

~~~

A sharp intake of breath. Blinding lights. Indiscernible noises. The first thing I see clearly is EJ by my side, gripping my hand so tightly it's going numb. Her smile encourages me to whisper one hoarse message.

"Did you miss me?"