CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

LINDSAY

Everyone is dressed in black. Their heads bowed as her casket is carried down the aisle. This is the day I never thought I'd see so soon. 

But she promised me, that she'd make it. Now here I am at her funeral. 

"Lindsay, I promise you, I'm going to be fine, it's just one surgery," Ellie said to me as they took her off to prep her to have her appendix removed. 

She went to get her appendix removed. 

No one but me and Lilianna came with Ellie because Ellie said she'd be out tomorrow. Look at us now. 

"Are you Lindsay Alvarado?" The doctor asks as he enters the room with a sorrowful look on his face making my heart drop. "I was Ellie's doctor, would you mind if we went to another room."

That other room. 

It was supposed to be comforting, but it wasn't because that's where they broke the news that something went wrong during surgery. Not only did her appendix rupture but they found half her liver was dead as well. 

She was already dying before she even entered that OR. Somehow they missed it during all their tests. 

They didn't have enough blood ready for Ellie to survive when she started to bleed out. As they tried to stop the bleeding they just found more damage to her. 

Cancer. 

They missed the cancer part. 

That is what cost her, her life. She bleeds out because the more they moved the more tumour ruptured. 

She was dying for a long time and these doctors didn't see it. 

Lilianna uncourtly already knew what dead meant. My mom had passed last year and we explained what death was. 

She is only six years old and is losing her mother. 

Mattew sued them. As soon as the medical board and their lawyers saw Ellie's case file. Mattew won and gave me all the money from the hospital. 

The hospital covered Ellie's entire medical bill and gave us eight million dollars. Which went into a savings account for Lilianna.

But not even that eight million dollars can make up for right now. 

Tears running down everyone's faces, Lilianna's as well. She clenches my leg crying, crying for her mommy to come back. 

If only that could come true. 

A picture of us at the courthouse getting married is used as Ellie's picture. Her name is written in cursive underneath the photo. 

"Daddy, I want mommy, please don't bury her," Lilianna cries. I feel so bad for her, Ellie showed Lilianna cried to me. I just get on my knees and hug her. 

I haven't even tried hiding it from her that I'm sad because she is sad too. If I hide my feelings from her she is only going to do the same. 

Holding her close as tears fall from my face. "I don't want her to go either baby, but she has to," I tell her. I can feel people watching me console Lilianna as she is crying. This is her mother's funeral. 

Mattew is even crying. 

Forty-nine minutes of absolute hell, I didn't want to be in that church longer than I had to. It made me too sad knowing that I'm burying my wife. 

She is buried next to a rose bush. "Ellie-Rose Alvarado, Loving Wife, Mother and Friend." I have written on her tombstone. 

I just don't know what the future holds for me now. The love of my life is gone and now, I have my daughter who I love more than anything.