14

Selena
"Okay baby slow down. Now what?" I asked as I made my way up to my office. Aaliyah was currently on the other end of the phone telling me everything. And don't think I didn't get a earful of why I didn't tell her the truth. "Okay Liyah, so Derek and Vanessa are brother and sister. Michael is Derek's dad, your teacher told you everything. Liyah this is so much to take in plus I'm in my building right now. Can this wait?" I asked as I unlocked my office door. She sucked her teeth and let out an alright before hanging up. I stuffed my phone in my purse and walked in. I was shocked to see a bouquet of flowers sitting on my desk with a note beside it.

I'm not good with things like this and I know you're probably about to throw this in the trash because you've realized the hand writing. But I wanted to leave you some flowers and lunch as I start to starting over with you. I wanna make things right between us.
-Jay

I finished reading the note and grabbed the flowers. I looked around for the lunch but didn't see any. "If you're looking for the lunch it's right here." I turned around to see Jay standing there with a Chic-Fi-La bag and drink. "How did you get up here?" I asked. "Carter used his key to open the door for me." He said. "What do you want?" I asked. I wasn't in the mood for Jay. Or any man involving relationships for that matter. "Well, I brought you flowers and lunch." He said. "Yeah I see." I responded. "Look, this is already difficult for me." He said. "Difficult for you? You accuse me of missing my abusive ex husband, then go sleep and date his fucking sister, then decide to come up in here and say talking to me is difficult for you? Looking at you is difficult for me!" I said.

"We get into one argument and the next day you're laid up with another woman? I'm hurt! And not only did you lay up with her, you take her to my favorite spot in the mall. Knowing that most likely, I'd be there." I said. I felt my eyes getting watery so I turned away from him. "You're just another Michael. Thanks but no thanks I'm not hungry and you can take the flowers back as well." I said as I went to sit behind my desk. "I admit, I was wrong to do what I did. And accuse you of missing Michael. I want to make that right Lena, I want to take you out to show that I'm sorry." He said. "Jay, I don't know. If I'm not busy then maybe but most likely I won't have the time to." I said. "Okay. I'm leaving the gifts I brung and just in case you change your mind, I'll stop by your house round 8?" He said. "You do that." I said pretending to be writing on the sticky note.

I noticed as he stated to say something but shook his head and left out the office. Do I still love Jay? Of course I do. Did I want to go on that date with him? No..yes..I don't know.

________________________________

I had got a call from Liyah's teacher and they wanted to have a parent meeting. Jay was busy with the twins so I had to go in. "Good evening Ms. Berry. I'm so glad you could come in for this meeting." Her teacher said. "What happened?" I asked wanting to get straight to the problem. "Well, I want to acknowledge how intelligent Aaliyah is. She is a smart student and on top of my class but we're having a bit of a problem with respect." He said. "Respect?" I asked looking over at Liyah. "I wasn't being disrespectful, I was telling the truth." She said.  I asked her to step out the classroom and she did that. "Look here Vincent, if you're using my daughter to get to me you might need to rethink that damn plan." I said.

"Now looky looky at Ms. Cookie. Girl your daughter knows. I told her. Everything." He said. "Yeah, and you also told her we lost when you know damn well we won. You and I both know the truth about everything." I said. "Girl look here. I'm not the one you should be worried about. I'm only doing what the boss had ordered me to mkay?" He said. "What boss bitch? Michael ass is dead." I said. "You think Tanya was gon let that that be in vain? Girl you better watch your damn back while you up here trynna watch me." He said trying to walk past me. I grabbed him by the arm and slung him into the desk. "Look here bitch, if you or Tanya so much as come a inch towards my daughter I will end you myself and we both know I can beat you and Tanya ass without a weapon." I said before letting him go.

"Good luck with that. We got your strongest member right now spilling to us like a broke glass of water. Once we're done with him, he'll be a walking blade for us." Vincent said. "And that's where you weak bitches mess up at. Real bitches know, you never bring a weak a knife to real ass gun fight. Have a nice day." I said sizing him up before walking out the class. "Liyah let's go." I said as I walked down the hall. She could tell I was mad with her, so she walked silently to the car and got in. "Ma can you say something to me instead of piercing me with your eyes?" She said. "Why Liyah? Why couldn't you just let it go?" I said trying to focus on the road. "The same reason you lied to me." She said. I slammed on the breaks and looked at her. I pulled over to a near gas station and stoped the car.

"You wait a damn minute Aaliyah." I said taking my seat belt off so I could be face to face with her. "I ain't entitled to tell yo ass a damn thing. I kept that Mafia shit away from you to protect you." I said. "Well how did that go? You sent me to a school where the rival was my teacher." She said. "I ain't send Yo ass nowhere! Jay ass was the one who said send you to the bullshitting school. I wanted yo ass somewhere else. But you right along with Jay wanted to be surrounded by those ghetto hood rats." I said. "That Mafia shit ain't nothing to damn deal with. I didn't want you or the twins around that bullshit Aaliyah! Why can't you just be respectful and understanding and drop the shit? Why do you have to be so damn hardheaded?" I asked. "The same reason you were being hard headed and got pregnant with me!" Before I could even think about it, my hand went across her face.

She grabbed the side of her face and tears began to fill her eyes. She unbuckled her seat belt and got out the car. "Liyah wait." I said as I got out along with her. "Liyah I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hit you." I said as she kept walking. "If I knew I was going to be beat on whenever I spoke my mind I would've opted to stay in the foster home." She said as she continued to walk. "Where are you going?" I said as I caught up with her and grabbed her arm. "I'm calling Nessie and telling her to come get me!" She yelled. "You're going to calm your damn voice Aaliyah! Get in the car and I will drop you off." I said. "No! I'm calling Vanessa!" She yelled. "Aaliyah get your ass in the damn car! Now!" I yelled back. This time she got quiet and did as told. Lord where did I go wrong?