twenty-six

Ashlyn POV.

"Ashlyn."

A groan escapes my lips and I tug myself away from the shaking hand that was trying to wake me. It felt way too early for someone to be waking me up.

"Ashlyn, wake the fuck up."

From the strangled morning voice I knew it was Sapnap trying to wake me. Hearing his voice reminded me of the night before and how much fun we had, I couldn't help the smirk forming on my face.

"Good morning." I mumble, slowly trying to open my eyes but stopping when I feel the harsh stinging sensation.

"Your phone won't stop going off, please make it shut up." Sapnap whined, I feel the weight of his body fall down next to me again.

It wasn't long before another noise filled the room, this time it was the irritating buzz of my phone. I sit myself up and reach for my phone, rubbing relentlessly at my tired eyes.

The numbers on the screen all blur into one, so without checking I swipe and answer the ringing phone.

"Ashlyn speaking." I could hear the grogginess in my own voice.

"I'm calling on behalf of the British police force, my name is Layla, are you free to talk for a few minutes?" I hear the operator speak on the other line, she sounded awake and alert.

My heart immediately drops when she says British police force.

"What's happened? Are my family okay?" Next to me I feel Sapnap sit up, the warmth of his hand was now present on my back.

"Miss Thompson, we have an officer on his way to you. Please are you able to confirm you own flat 202 of Pelican suite?"

Her words fumble in my ear, the British police were calling me about my apartment in Texas.

"Yes." There's a noticeable tremor in my answer.

"I'm sorry I can't explain more on the phone, please do not panic. Officer Stanley will be there shortly." Her voice rings in my ear, the phone goes silent and when I pull it away from my face the call was no longer visible.

"Ashlyn?" Sapnap stays still next to me, unsure of how he should react.

"It's got to be a scam." I talk mostly to myself. "It's the only rational explanation, there's no way there's a police officer on his way here."

"Police?" Sapnap's face flushes white.

"Yes police." I reiterate.

My hair suddenly becomes annoying and itchy on the back of my neck, I scan the room but can't see a hair band or scrunchie anywhere. The sticky feeling started to become unbearable, with one hand I clasp my hair and hold it above my neck.

"Here."

When I look at the messy bed, Sapnap looked at me, his face still pale. In his hand he held out a long grey drawstring, which I could see he had taken from his oversized hoodie. My heart fluttered a little from his gesture and I take the cord from his hand, using it to tie my heavy hair up.

"Thank you." I place a small kiss on his stubbly cheek.

We both stay silent, I could tell Sapnap didn't want to say the wrong thing or panic me anymore. I was waiting for a knock at the BnB door, my feet making me pace up and down the small space in our bedroom.

This whole scenario was terrifying, I'd never had any involvement with the police until now. It seemed I hadn't done a lot of things until I met Sapnap, he has been the root of a lot of firsts for me.

I flip my phone over in my hand so the blank screen was now facing me, I unlock the phone and go to my favourite contacts.

"Bray, is everyone okay?" I rush to talk into the phone as soon as I could no longer hear the ringing.

"Ash?" His voice was hoarse.

"Bray are you okay? Is mum okay? Dad?"

"Ash we're fine! What's got you so paranoid?" He started to sound more awake, I could hear the faint shuffling of bedsheets in the background.

"The police rang me, there's something wrong." My eyes start to prick and there's a noticeable hitch in the end of my sentence. "I thought something had happened to you guys." I let the tears fall now, wetting my cheeks rapidly.

Warm arms reach around my waist and squeeze tightly as Sapnap brings his head to rest comfortingly on my free shoulder. I appreciated that he was being so understanding, I was panicking and it has become clear to me that Sapnap doesn't know how to deal with situations like this.

"Ash please don't cry, I'm coming to you. Just try to stay calm okay?" Bray's voice softens.

"Thank you Bray." Is all I manage to say, pausing in between words as my breath becomes sparser.

The line goes silent and I throw my phone to the bed. My hands cover my face, my body turns in Sapnap's arms and I press myself further into his body. His breathing was so clam that it was relaxing to me, his whole embrace was relaxing at this time.

"Ashlyn?" His voice sounded distracted, as though he was lost in thought.

"Yeah?" I breathe.

"I need you to promise me something."

This felt like the wrong time to be making promises to each other, but I decide to ask him what regardless.

"Promise you what?" My voice sounded drained and quiet because of my enclosed hands.

"If I ever make you cry, you have to leave." He says, there was a hint of sadness in his words.

"Sapnap it's not the time for this."

"No Ashlyn. You have to promise me, promise me you'll run a thousand miles away from me and never come back."

"You've made me cry before Sapnap, when you left those horrible bruises on my wrists." I remind him, now removing my hands from my face and looking into his eyes.

"That was different, I didn't like you nearly as much as I do now."

"So that makes it okay?" He wasn't making any sense.

"You need to promise me from now on if I hurt you so much that you cry like you just have, you will leave me." He brings his hand to my cheek and wipes the tears from under my eye, a frown on his own face.

"I can't promise that." I tell him.

As much as I knew he was right, I felt too much for this man that it wouldn't be as simple as running a thousand miles from him.

"Please, tell me that I can't hurt you like that. You're too strong to put up with my shit Ashlyn." He was serious, I could tell from the way his eyebrows moved a little lower and the frown only deepened on his face.

"I promise." I don't fight anymore, I knew that he was right.

"I love you."

———————————

A/N: long time no see.... Sorry guys :( BUT whatttt, who has just admitted their love?!?