17

Hayley watches as Klaus barges into the kitchen, shuffling his hands in the fridge for a blood bag. He notices her, she knows he does, but he doesn't say anything. Not even a simple good morning. But she shouldn't mind, she tells herself, why would she in the first place?

"What's got you in such a foul mood, Nik?" Hayley jumps slightly with a frown, forgetting that Rebekah was sitting next to her, flipping through a magazine. Her eyes rather focused on Klaus and Rebekah seems to realize that because she sends Hayley a knowingly smirk.

Klaus turns around after devouring the blood bag until it's crumpled and empty, "Who would ever be in a foul mood on the day of Marcel's charity event?" He mutters, which only makes it more clear of how unhappy he is.

Hayley rubs the back of her neck when she feels his gaze suddenly turn onto her, and she looks down at the wooden dining table. His eyes still don't leave and that's when she remembers. She's his date tonight.

"Right, remind me why you're still going after he kidnapped Hay-"

"He didn't kidnap me." Hayley cuts her off with a sharp tone, and Rebekah leans her head back from it. Klaus shakes his head, ignoring both our comments before ambling out.

Rebekah gives Hayley a look, which Hayley has no idea what for, as she stands up and calls his name.

"Yes, sister?" Klaus sighs out of frustration, turning around with his hands out. Rebekah crosses her arms over her chest, glancing down at Hayley.

"Help me pick a dress for Hayley," She simply says with a smile. Hayley picks up a magazine to cover her face from Klaus, sending Rebekah a glare from behind it. She only drops it when she hears Klaus let out a low chuckle, and she sees him crossing his arms over his chest.

"That's ridiculous, it's not like my opinion matters to you when you have years of fashion expertise anyway," He shrugs, not taking a second look at Hayley. He doesn't let Rebekah interrupt him walking out this time, and Rebekah sits herself down with a frown.

"He's mad," Rebekah concludes, and Hayley looks at her. "No, really?" Hayley asks sarcastically with a scoff.

"Go see what's wrong," Rebekah rolls her eyes, but Hayley shakes her head with her brows furrowed. "He barely wanted to see me, what makes you think he'll want to talk to me?" She murmurs in response, to which Rebekah releases a huff at.

"Hayley, aren't you his date tonight?" The blonde vampire asks her, arching an eyebrow while she's at it. Hayley told Rebekah yesterday, after explaining the whole kiss situation with Dean. She's so thankful that Klaus doesn't know, it's just a gut feeling she has that Klaus wouldn't be too happy to hear about that. Then again, he doesn't control her life. All he did was get her knocked up.

"That has nothing to do with anything, Rebekah." Hayley frowns, as if to convince herself.

"Yeah, well, you're the only one he wouldn't hurt, so talk to him." Rebekah says before getting out of her seat. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to prepare for tonight." She smiles before strutting out of the kitchen, and what seems like up the stairs.

Hayley stays put though. She doesn't want to feel the wrath of Klaus, even though she doesn't mind talking back to him. She simply thinks he should be left alone, without anyone hovering over him trying to figure out what's wrong.

Perhaps, space is what he needs.

Perhaps, Hayley is what he doesn't need.

**

"So, are you going to explain why you're destroying the canvas in which you call art?" Elijah asks Klaus, when he decides he's heard enough of the paint splatting against the board, with Klaus' low growls here and there. The older Mikaelson brother takes a glance at what Klaus has created, and it's absolutely nothing. It's just blobs of red paint, the poor canvas having to be the product for what Klaus takes his irritation out on.

"I don't believe I'm aware of what you're talking about," Klaus says, dropping the brush and wiping his hands with a cloth.

"I wouldn't ask you normally since this is you being, well, you..." Elijah starts, tilting his head and Klaus smirks, "But it's an off feeling I'm having. You parade around the house exclaiming about tonight whilst sulking in the corners of the house when nobody's around," Elijah shrugs, leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed.

"The incompetent hunter who took a leave, laid a romantic gesture towards Hayley when I specifically warned him not to," Klaus admits after a moment, much to Elijah's surprise. He honestly thought Klaus would just avoid the question and excuse himself to get dressed.

"I'm presuming it was Dean," Elijah raises his eyebrows.

"Your presumption is correct, big brother," Klaus snarls, shaking his head. "He's not welcome here anymore, not after that. Not after he kissed her."

"Niklaus, you act as if just because she's pregnant with your child, it means she no longer has a life to live," Elijah frowns, pushing himself off the frame to walk towards Klaus, "But I shall remind you that she does. And she still has a chance at finding a good man for herself, even with a child that belongs to you." Elijah protests, and Klaus looks down in a sudden wave of anger. He doesn't want Hayley to find another man for herself. And Elijah seems to get the hint, because he sighs. "Unless...you want to be that good man. That's it, isn't it?"

"You're speaking of absurd delusions, Elijah, I encourage you to stop it," Klaus mumbles, pushing past Elijah but he grabs his arm to hold him place. Klaus glares at Elijah, pulling his arm out of his brother's grip. That's when Elijah realizes.

"You care for that girl," Elijah says, astounded, "Ever since the day she arrived, and you've been too afraid to admit it." He concludes, creasing his eyebrows.

"Are you some kind of therapist or phycologist now? Which century did you pick up that trait?" Klaus murmurs, looking away.

"And when will you tell Hayley how you feel?" Elijah ignores Klaus' bitter sarcastic attempts to change the topic, and Klaus sighs, defeated.

"Not any time soon, if that's what you're wondering." Klaus sneers out, placing his hands on his sides. "It's better that way."

"For who? Her, so that she doesn't need to face your inevitable wrath?" Elijah exclaims.

"Stop it, Elijah."

"Or perhaps, yourself, so that you don't have to destroy another chance at love?" Elijah continues.

"Elijah," Klaus hisses.

"The supernatural population of the city already thinks of her as your supposed 'girlfriend', and if there is any chance of you redeeming yourself like I hope there is, then you'll allow yourself to give in to this girl." And that's all Elijah advises before walking out, leaving Klaus with a locked jaw and pursed lips.

Elijah's forgetting one thing, Klaus isn't so easy to convince.

**

Short but still an update. Next chapter will be the charity event they've been going on abouttt with Hayley as Klaus' date. What do you think will happen between them?

-A