18.

Rebekah had dressed Hayley in one of her most extravagant collectives from over the years. Hayley kept fumbling with how tight it was from the bust, but thankfully loose all the way from below along with a slit going through the blue fabric.

She eyes herself in the mirror, turning to see both sides of her body while running her hands over her stomach. The baby bump is beginning to show, and she bites her lip at the realization of how she really is having a baby. Klaus's baby. She hadn't fully acknowledged it until...now. As if on sudden cue, she hears the door of her rook creak open and she diverts her attention to it, only to see the one she was least expecting to see.

She bites her lip gently when she hears no words come out from his mouth, and his eyes travel up her body, finally landing on her emerald eyes which were already stuck on his. There's an-almost awkward- silence between them before he clears his throat to put an end to it.

"Are you ready to leave, Hayley?" Klaus asks her, taking one of the hands that was clasped behind his back and holding it out for her to take.

Hayley knows he's still mad. She can just...feel it. But she also feels that he won't budge so easily and pour his heart out to her on what's wrong.

"Yeah. I'm ready," Hailey days after cleaning her throat. She glances down at his hand and looks back at the mirror before continuing, "You can just wait for me downstairs. I'll be there in a second."

Klaus' lips part and eyebrows furrow in confusion. He's the one that's been ignoring her, he knows it's quite obvious to everyone in the household, and instead of trying to mend things she dares to reject him?

"Of course." He mumbles, scoffing under his breath and shaking his head before turning around and walking around.

Hayley shuts her eyes, listening to his footsteps fade away. She thinks to herself, why do I have to be so damn stubborn? Why does he have to be so damn closed off? Why can't it be easy to just be a perfect couple?

Couple? No way.

She meant family. There's no way on earth Klaus and her could be a couple. Besides, he told her that himself. She's just the mother of his child. She's going to stay to take care of the baby. Nothing more, nothing less.

She takes a deep breath before leaving her room to go downstairs, where she finds it empty. She raises her eyebrows as she walks down the stairs.

"Rebekah?" She calls, getting no answer.

"They've all left." She hears Klaus say, turning her attention to the doorway where he stands.

"Oh."

"Yeah."

There's another quick silence before one of them speaks again.

"Marcel has already called me asking where I am and why I'm taking so long so I'd appreciate it if you could stop standing around and wasting time, Hayley." Klaus says sternly.

Hayley simply nods and follows him out, beginning to feel irritated with his attitude.

This is going to be a long night.

-

The lights are dim, music is loud, conversations amidst the entire room. Hayley and Klaus walk in side by side, a couple of feet away from each other. It's then that Klaus realizes how off they seem, so he slowly takes her hand.

Hayley flinches at first, the action catching her off guard. "What are you-"

"You're my girlfriend, no?" Klaus mutters so that no one hears. Hayley licks her lips and shakes her head, stepping closer to him, entwining their fingers as they continue to walk in, both of them faking smiles.