Chapter EIGHTEEN

I blink a few times times trying to understand what she's saying while warily watching her graceless gait towards me.

I knew of course that she was pregnant. I had noticed her growing belly when I would see her around the house but not once did I consider it to be William's.

Brittany doesn't have the purest record when it comes to men, she is very promiscuous. I've heard many tales of her sexual prowls. I just figured the child belonged to one of the many men I see her with throughout the day.

The sound of stampeding paws in the distance make my ears perk up. Renee must have alerted the others and they're on their way. Brittany hears it as well because she stops her approach. Her back straightens and her body becomes stiff.

"What is that?" She murmurs in a hushed worried tone.

"Don't worry it's just some of the pack."

"The pack? I don't want them here!" she screams and I cringe at the ringing in my ears.

"Brittany it's ok relax"

"No, no, no, no" she shakes her head vehemently. She backs away from me looking around frantically, eyes full of distrust listening to the sound getting closer.

"We aren't going to hurt you?" I raise my arms as if placating a scared animal.

Suddenly wolves descends on us from the trees behind me. A group of four wolves, two tan and two dark brown growling prepared for battle.

They fall in next to me assessing the situation. It doesn't take them long to realize there is no danger. Their growling stops and they take more relaxed stances as they shift back.

"What's going on James we thought there were rogues" Jared ask to my immediate right taking in the odd scene. Brittany has backed herself into a tree and is hugging it from behind.

"I apologize for the alarm. We just have a situation with Brittany here" I reply trying to keep my eyes on her. She looks as if she will bolt at any moment.

Jared takes a step forward sniffing the air. He notices the pool of blood, next the bloody hanger, then finally looks at Brittany's damaged state connecting the dots.

"Oh Fuck" his whispers into a closed fist, his face turning a little green. He turns away to compose himself taking huge breaths.

"Did she do that?" one of the guards I believe his name is Thomas says also covering his mouth.

I nod once and he runs and throws up into a bush. The sound of violent vomiting ringing out. The other two guards just stand there completely frozen.

"What are they doing here?" Brittany ask glancing over the guards while slowing inching around the tree.

"They are here to help, no one's going to hurt you" I take a step towards her.

"Stay back James!!" she yells and I stop. I get a sense of Deja vu remembering my experience with Renee on the cliff and her reluctance to let me near her. Sometimes I wish I had it in me to turn a blind eye to these unstable women.

"Brittany you need a doctor" Jared states firmly stepping up next to me after regaining his composure.

"No I don't I'm perfectly fine now. They will just try to save it." she argues looking down at the mess running down her legs. "I won't let that happen"

"Wait a minute the baby is still alive?" Jared looks to me in hope.

"I don't know. We won't know for sure until we get her some medical attention"