Chapter SEVEN

James POV

A few day have past since Amber announced she was pregnant and in that time I feel like I have gained a more profound purpose and obligation not only to protect my mate but to protect our unborn child as well.

I am all healed now and I have been pushing myself to my absolute limit. Lately my schedule has included exercising for hours on in until I collapse in exhaustion and researching every piece of information I could find on this band of rogues. Amber told me the rogue we caught was a dead end so I have to find something that could aid us, a name, witness accounts, pattern of movement, anything is better than nothing.

"Am I boring you James" I snap out of my daydream at the sound of Dallas's voice. I look up from my empty water bottle at his sweaty panting form across the exercise room.

"Nope just giving you a break, looks like you could use it" I reply jokingly with a cocky smile. We had just finished a round of sparring and were taking a short break before we start again.

Another thing I've been working on is honing my combat abilities and that means training and sparring with the best of the best of our enforcers. At first it was a little awkward dealing with Dallas considering his past sexual relationship with Amber and his campaign to get rid of me when I first arrived here but now we are on less hostile terms.

I wouldn't say we've become friends but we have developed a respect for each others position in the pack and skills that we can learn from each other. So we've decided to put away our grievances for the good of the pack.

"I was just warming up and letting you have the advantage to teach you." I can see a small blush creep on his face before he turns to get a towel from a rack. I think he's a little embarrassed that an Omega was able to best him . During our entire 2 hour session he was only able to land 1 attack and I easily countered it and threw him on the ground.

"Sure you were" I throw the bottle away and begin stretching my arms out across my chest getting ready to begin again.

The truth was that I actually far pass Dallas's level in technique and my small 5'8 size gives me the advantage in speed as well. Unfortunately he's the best challenge I can get besides Amber but there's no way I'm asking my pregnant mate to fight me. I'm already a nervous wreck about her condition as is.

"You know I have to hand it to you James I didn't expect to learn anything from you." he shrugs his shoulders "I mean no offense but you're an Omega"

I give him a hard stare at his insult. Nice to see his prejudices about my Omega status has improved.

"I haven't had a work out like that since I was with Amber"

That statement gets my full attention. What the fuck was he implying? My eyes flash and I release a menacing growl showing my sharp canines. I know there's nothing I can do about their past. It happened before she knew me, but I'll be damn if I want hear it constantly being brought up and thrown in my face.

"Whoa relax man I meant when we sparred back when we were teens nothing sexual or inappropriate" his words seem innocent and casual enough but his eyes are shifting all around the room.

"Right" I place my left palm over my eyes and rub the tension away while calming my wolf down, there is no threat to our mate. Maybe I will try some alternative meditative training to relax my nerves later on. Lately my wolf and I have been on edge. At first I thought it was the impending battle with the rogues but maybe its something else.

An awkward silence descends on the room.

Dallas clears his throat. "So you want to keep going or....?"