Chapter TWENTY-TWO

The sun beats down on the massive beasts. They're locked in an intense stare down. One wolf chocolate brown and the other midnight black, both panting from exertion. Each opponent vying for the chance to become the second Beta of Red Dawn.

Throughout the entire fight my eyes have been glued to black wolf from my front row seat. He's fast, agile, tactical, and fierce. The way he moves and fights is a thing of beauty. He has improved so much, he is hands down our greatest warrior, maybe even better than me.

They've been going at it for awhile now and it's become obvious to me that the black wolf has the upper hand in this match up but I know he won't go for the quick take down. He's going to prolong the bout to give his opponent dignity and as a show of sportsmanship.

I watch as James rushes Jared but Jared easily dodges not realizing it was a ploy. James having anticipated his evasion spins around as he passes him and pounces on to his back taking him off guard. The sudden weight causes Jared's legs to buckle and to collapse onto the grass. James makes a half hearted attempt to pin, his teeth inches from Jared's neck but Jared breaks free and James rolls off to the side. Jared seemingly upset for falling for the trick charges James without thinking.

James is now on his feet and doesn't move an inch he just watches. The brown wolf launches into the air leading with his claws and teeth and it is now that James moves. He bends low, tenses his muscles and leaps up with such speed he's just blur to me. The next thing I see is the contact of his head to Jared's abdomen like a wrecking ball. The head butt is so powerful blood and saliva spews from his mouth as he flies a few feet back landing with a bounce when he hits the ground.

Jared isn't moving I hear people begin to talk questioning if it's the end of match but then we see movement from Jared. He slowly stands staggering and shaking his head.

James releases a bark and Jared looks over to him. James takes a stance as if about to sprint forward. Jared nods his head in understanding and takes the same stance. The meaning is clear: It's All or Nothing Time.

They race towards each other at maximum speed. When mere feet apart they jump up clashing on their hind legs.

Savage growling fills the air and the atmosphere crackles with energy. The two grapple looking for the upper hand, neither willing to fall back. Jared uses his paws and slashes at James but he dodges over and over again. James attacks on the other hand are connecting with his legs, chest, neck, arms, and face. All superficial wounds strategically placed to weaken him instead of maim. Soon Jared is leaking from multiple wounds and I can tell he is becoming weaker. His breathing is labored and his movements are sluggish. Seeing his chance to win. James repeating smashes his head into Jareds disorienting him. Jared leans back almost tipping over his limbs falling limply to his sides, but James grabs him around the neck with his two front legs.

Instead of of keeping then upright James falls back taking Jared with him. The brown wolf lands on top of him but before Jared gets any ideas to capitalize James uses his hind legs like a catapult and tosses him 30 feet into the air.

Jared comes crashing down a few feet away and hits the ground with a sickening thump giving him no chance to recover James pounces on him covering his body and snarling in his face.

Having very little strength left and realizing he has lost , Jared presents his neck to James and James swoops down and clamps his jaws around his neck.

The crowd erupts in deafening cheers immediately following the submission signaling the finale of the epic showdown. After all intense matches, close calls, KO's, amazing demonstrations of fighting abilities in both forms, and great shows of integrity, we have a victor.