Chapter TWENTY

"They've been gone a long time. Do you think we should go check on them?" A worried voice reaches my ears as I draw closer to where I left the guards. I'm only a few yards away from them now.

"Nah I'm sure James is handling it fine, have a little faith. He would contact us if he ran into any trouble." Jared responds.

"Yeah it might take him a while to get that psycho under control I mean did you see the crazed look in her eyes? It creeped me the hell out." Thomas pipes in, revulsion still clear in his voice.

"Jared I thought you were going to talk to the Alpha about monitoring her." Another voice accuses.

"I did I told the Alpha two days ago but she didn't like the idea and said she would talk to Brittany herself."

"Alot of good that did" Thomas mumbles under their breath.

"Man what's up with Alpha Amber's decisions lately. I think she should do us all a favor and step down. She's grown incompetent and pathetic." My hackles raise at that comment and a growl leaves my lips. Amber and I may no longer be together but I still don't like anyone bad mouthing my mate.

"Watch it Rick we don't need talk like that. Despite her personal choices she hasn't shown us that she's not capable of leading us so shut the hell up. She's our Alpha and deserves your respect. " Jared chastises.

Rick scoffs "Barely, James has been more of an Alpha than her."

I'm a few feet away now and as I approach the area where they're gathered all talking cease. The men look up at my arrival then down to the unconscious bundle in my arms. I ingore the questioning stares focus my attention on the guard that won't meet my eyes an obvious sign of guilt. No doubt he realized I heard all the trash he was talking about Amber. I walk straight over to him and stop directly in his space.

"Rick is it?" I ask the silently trembling guard who suddenly seems extremely fascinated with his shoes.

"Yes sir" he murmurs at his feet.

"So you're the one hoping to start a mutiny?" I inquiry already knowing the answer. His body language is a clear give away to his indiscretion.

"Of course not sir I was only joking-"

"Look at me when I'm talking to you" I interrupt my voice low and deadly, my anger growing at his audacity to lie to me. He tenses but unwillingly looks up. My noise crinkles in distaste as a strong stench of fear hits me.

"I want you to listen carefully. Amber is the best Alpha this pack can have. If I ever hear you speak that way of her again you will have to answer to me and I can't guarantee you won't need the aid of a straw to eat when I'm done with you. Understand?" by the end of my statement my voice has risen a couple octaves. My grip tightens on Brittany and I can feel my body begin to hum wanting to let my wolf out.

Rick quickly nods his head. My eyes narrow at his lack of verbal response.

"I can't hear you Rick you're going have to speak up" I take a menacing step towards him and he stumbles back in fright.

"Y-y-yess S-sir" he manages to stutter out.

"Good" I give him a smile in appreciation of his obedience.

A tart scent reaches my nose and I look down to see a small wet trail running down his dark green uniform pants and a puddle of urine gathering in the grass at his feet.

I shake my head in disgust and turn away from him to the others. Jared is in the process of smothering a amused smile and the others stare at me with a combination of apprehension and respect.