Chapter TWENTY-ONE

Amber POV

James looks like shit.

He's sitting in a chair with his head back against the wall staring at me. He looks extremely worn and I can see dark circles starting to form around his eyes. There are various stains of brown, red, green, and yellow covering his face and body. His clothes are ripped in certain areas and to top it all off there's an rank awful smell coming from him enough to make my eyes water.

There's a hint of amusement shining in his emerald eyes but I don't find anything funny. I march over to him ready to tear him a new one. If he thinks he will be getting any sympathy because of his ghastly appearance he has another thing coming.

Imagine my surprise coming home to find the place deserted. A little unnerved I ask Dallas to check around the house as I contacted Jared. He informed me to what was going on all be it begrudgingly, not wanting to rat out James.

"Why the fuck wasn't I notified right away about this?" I say looking down at him. James straightens himself and all amusement leaves his eyes and he takes on a serious expression.

"I decided you shouldn't be told right away." he replies completely deadpan. A low growl starts in my throat at his passivity. I push my next words out through clenched teeth.

"I don't appreciate you disregarding my authority and acting as leader. You're not the Alpha here James I am" my words come out harshly and he leans back away from me. I must strike a nerve with him because his eyes narrows and his face grows defensive.

"I know that Amber I wasn't trying to go over your head. I would never do that. This is your pack. I honestly thought it wasn't something that needed your immediate attention. We handled it fine and now we can brief you." I can hear the sincerity in his voice but it does nothing to cool my temper.

"It wasn't your choice to make James." I yell my anger reaching a fevered pitch. Ferocious heat suddenly washes over me. I began to sweat and my breathing becomes minutely strained. What the heck is wrong with me? Damn pregnancy hormones have me all out of whack. I turn away from James to catch my breath once I feel alittle better I continue my raving.

"You know everyone around here is treating me like a second class member and I'm fucking sick of it. I'm the Alpha of Red Dawn I make the decisions I Deserve respect after all the things I've done to make this pack better. You and everyone else-" I am interrupted by a gently hand on my waist.

"Whoa calm down " James ,who is now standing, turns me around to look at him and I see nothing but genuineness written on his face.

"I'm truly sorry Amber. It was entirely my mistake. I didn't want to interrupt your day out with Dallas. If it bothers you that much I will never make another decision regarding a member or the pack in general without conferring with you first"

I become pacified by his presence and suddenly realize how utterly ridiculous I was just acting.

"No it was me overreacting I'm sorry. You and Jared are perfectly capable of handling anything that happens. Looking at your damage, I don't think I would have been much help in my pregnant condition anyway."

"Are you ok you're all red and sweaty" I involuntarily shiver as he brushes away a few strands that are stuck to my face and looks me over in concern.

"I don't want you stressing yourself out"

"I'm fine James it's just a little heat flash" I try to assure him but he looks doubtful. He grabs my hand and pulls me to a chair.

"Come sit" he lowers me down with care then rushes off to the water color on the other side of the room and fills up a paper cup. He comes back to me and hands it over.