Chapter TWENTY-SEVEN

James POV

The screams are what woke me up.

Heartbroken and agonizing males cries of torture.

I spring up from my pillow panting hard and looking around my darken room for signs of trouble. I don't see anything but I can't shake the feeling something's wrong. I absientmindly rub at my exposed chest. The wails were so strong and painful my heart twinges in sympathy.

Was I dreaming something?

I try to think back but I can't remember any nightmares. I look to my clock on my nightstand it reads 2:46am. I'm just about to dismiss it and lay back down to sleep when the screams tear through the silence drawing my attention to the suite's windows I left open to enjoy the evening breeze.

Flinging the cover from my body I run over to it and gaze out into the darkness, the white curtains billowing on either side of me. I see nothing but trees being that my room faces the back of the house. I close my eyes straining my ears to listen for anything and it isn't long before distraught voices float up to me on the wind. I recognize them as belonging to the guards that's stationed at the main pack house.

"Neighbors called it in they said it started about 10 minutes ago"

"What's wrong with them?"

"Maybe they're sick or something"

"I don't know Man but I'm contacting the Alpha this doesn't feel right."

"Shit they're starting to seize. He's dripping blood all over me. We have to hurry and get them to the clinic."

Soon I hear the sound of accelerated breathing and running feet. The noise fading away the farther they go .

I leave the window my mind trying to make sense of what I just heard. A sour lump settles in my gut, my instincts telling me this is big.

I have to find out what the hell is going on. I rush over to my bedroom door bypassing my dresser too much in a haste to change out of my pajamas bottoms or to even put on shoes.

When I get out into the hall a few people are about looking around, rubbing at their fatigued faces and bleary eyes evidently having just been woken up from their sleep as I was.

"James!" I turn to see Renne hurrying my way from down the hall. When she reaches me she fold into my arms. Her frightened trembles vibrating through my body.

"What's happening whose screaming like that? Are we being attacked?" she asks anxiously looking up at me. The others in the hall crowd around us obviously curious wanting to know my answer.

"I don't think we're being attacked no alarms are sounding but I'm going to find out what's going on and I will let you know ok?"

She gives me a firm hug and nods her head into my chest.

"Be careful" she whispers. l kiss her hair and realease her looking around at the worried faces.

"Listen up I want all of you stay indoors. Don't leave this house. If you hear any alarms sounded or the chaos outside builds do not hesitate to go to the underground tunnels and barracade yourselves in. Remember it's located in the library behind the third bookcase. Pull the red book that says CATACOMBS and it should open for you. Am I clear?" My voice booms through the hall. After receiving confirmation I continue on.

"Alright be safe and I will let you all know what's going on when I find out more" I finish my speech and make my way through the crowd to get to the stairwell located in this wing