Chapter TWO

Amber POV

I can't believe I froze up like that in the middle of a battle. I could have been killed. Scratch that we could have been killed. I sigh inwardly. Ten minutes after finding out about its existence and the baby's already slowing me down. Damn maternal instincts.

"Amber, baby are you okay?"

James voice snaps me out of my reverie. I glance at him and his eyes are full of concern. "Uh yeah I just zoned out for a second there" I clear my throat and sit up a little "What were you saying?"

I look over my desk. James, Dallas, and I are in my office discussing the recent rogue attack. Over the last few weeks James has become a valuable asset in regards to the running of the pack. Both Dallas and I are in full agreement that his opinions and strategic ideas are exceptional and he has become a pseudo Gamma for Red Dawn.

"I was saying" Dallas responds in a slightly irritated tone. My focus has been anywhere but this meeting. This has to be the 4th time I've spaced out. I need to focus. "The rogue that we captured is waiting in the interrogation room do you want to take care of it or should I?"

I grimace Dallas's track record has never been very good with rogues. The last couple of times I sent him to interrogate a rogue he accidentally killed them before extracting any useful information. This may be the only opportunity we have to gain the upper hand.

"No I'll do it. Jared told me it's a female she may feel more comfortable with another female" I could also use something to get my mind off of the pregnancy.

"Are you sure?" His eyes lower to where my stomach is hidden beneath the desk and return to my face with lightening speed. "I mean you didn't seem like yourself earlier during the fight."

Fear flashes through me. He couldn't possibly know could he? Hoping I'm doing a good job at masking my panic I feign a air of indifference, "Everyone has bad days Dallas"

"Not that I don't think you can take care of yourself with the rogue but you seem a little pale are you not feeling well?" James adds sitting forward examining my face.

I break out in a cold sweat and my hands begin to tremble, I quickly hide them from view before he notices. I look at James and give him a reasurring smile. "I'm fine James. You're right though I do feel a little under the weather and a little tired. I'll just take a nap before heading down to talk to her"

"Hmm sickness and fatigue isn't that a sign of something" Dallas narrows his eyes and raises an eyebrow.

"Just a bug" I reply quickly.

"You sure about that" his eyes drop to my abdomem again this time bringing them up slowly to emphasize his point. "Maybe it's something bigger than that."

Yep he knows.

"I'm positive it's a bug" I say through clenched teeth with a look that says drop the subject or I will kill him.

He chuckles and gives me a knowing smirk. "Ok Alpha"

I breath a sigh of relief and look over to James his face is full of confusion and he's glancing between Dallas and I as if trying to figure out a puzzle.

"So" I say a little too loudly getting up from my office chair distracting James from his thoughts. "There's not much else to discuss until I deal with the rogue so I think I'll go take that nap" I turn to my mate "You coming, rest is probably what you need for your injuries."

James slowly rises from his seat. The wound on James's shoulder was not severe and the doctor said it should heal by tomorrow but his leg was broken pretty badly and wouldn't heal for a couple of days even with his advanced werewolf healing.