Chapter TWENTY-SIX

Hunter POV

It took a couple of weeks to complete the necessary preparations to implement my plan.

It all started when my informant told me about Reapers River that runs about 200 miles long and flows right through Red Dawn. After that tidbit of information I knew exactly how I was going to get in.

First I needed to get supplies. I gathered a few men and we raided a neighboring town's sporting goods store. The town we resided in had a similar store as well but I knew Red Dawn owns alot of businesses there and I didn't want them to catch wind of my activities and to figure out my plan.

Next I brief my men about my idea. In total we were able to get twelve tanks of oxygen and other equipment we thought would be useful. None of us knew shit about diving and we didn't have time for classes so what we did was crudely make what we knew we needed. We attached a thick plastic tube about 4 feet long and 2 inches in diameter to the spout of the tank. Next we grabbed a snorkel and attach the tube to the top of the snorkel leaving the mouthpiece free and there you have it 12 easy to use crappy renditions of proper scuba equipment held together with a bunch of waterproof tape and welding paste.

Finally I told them how we would infiltrate the territory .Essentially my plan was for us to swim beneath the surface of the river right into Red Dawn. No one should be able to see us and if any of our movement is detected. I hope it will simply be written off as a school of fish swimming by.

Of course we couldn't just walk up to the border and dive in. We had to start far back enough that they wouldn't hear us at least about 5 miles out and swim in from there.

Once we cross the the border we will swim for another 4 miles until we get to the center of the territory. When we get ashore we are free and clear. Those idiots are so confident in their border defenses they didn't bother having defenses anywhere else. Bad move on their part but perfect opportunity for me.

It was all so laughable simple and now the day of reckoning is here. I lift my nose into the night air enjoying the crispness. Tonight is going to be perfect.

I look over to my men who are waiting my word some twitching in anticipation. It's been too long since they saw action I should have done this sooner. Due to lack of supplies we are a small group only six of us in total but we're enough for what I have planned.

"Listen up men I want to be in and out of here within the hour. Do not fool around leave the fun for when we get back" My comment is met with crude laughter and smirks.

"Be smart and be quick if you follow these steps everything will be fine. My sources tell me there are homes North of the pack house. Use your nose and remember the Red Dawn layout I showed you. This is where you will finds your toys. There should be plenty of them about but pick ONE only. If you venture south of these houses you will risk being detected by a guard. Does everyone understand what I just said?" I receive a few Yes Sir and nods of affirmation.

"Alright let's go". We grab our gear and make our way towards the water. Each of us carrying book bags with two oxygen tank in them. We pull out our breathing tubes turn on the oxygen, put on our goggles, and attach our mouthpieces and nose plugs. Once we are submerged I lead the way down river.

The scenery in the murky green river was hardy spectacular. There was fish, rocks, moss, weeds etc. I got bored of it after about a minute besides I needed to focus. I kept my strokes slow and smooth causing no more that small ripples in the water. I instructed my men to do the same.

After about 20 minutes we come up the border. I feel the others become nervous behind me but I mind-link them to stay calm and just continue on. I also can sense two guards a mile inland on each side of us. This was the moment of truth.