Chapter TWENTY-FOUR

James POV

I'm furiously mashing buttons on the PlayStation controller trying to keep my character alive and thinking one thing. I Have To Win This One. It's no use though he's one hit from being annihilated.

Who would have thought that when I agreed to play video games with the kids it would become so competitive. I'm ashamed to say I haven't won one game. For the last hour and a half I have been getting my ass handed to me. I admit the first couple times I was letting them win but by game 5 I was out for blood. Sadly it's now game 13.

Let me tell you right now there's nothing worse to a guy than to lose to little girls whose simply mashing the box button over and over and kicking your ass, after you've spent time learning special fighting combinations and reading strategy books. It's pretty embarrassing. After one last defeat I've had enough. I place the remote on the coffee table in front of the 60in tv.

"Ok I admit it you two are the best." I stand up and give an exaggerated bow to each of the 6 year old twin sisters Autumn and Summer. "It's an honor to be in the presence of such awesome gamers." I finish straightening myself back up.

"And?" They ask expectantly. I knew what they were waiting for I was hoping they forgot about the bet I lost. I take a deep breathe and recite what I promised.

"And girls are better than boys at, coloring, dress-up, tea parties, basically everything important and apparently video games." They nod their head emphatically and high five each. I smile at their gaiety and leave the two girls laughing amongst themselves on the sectional.

I head over to Renee whose sitting at a round bistro table gazing out of a bay window. The book Pride and Prejudice lay forgotten on the table. She looks deep in thought and doesn't acknowledge my approach.

Ever since the tournament Renee has been jumpy and standoffish. She says that nothing is wrong but I can see it clearly. Something has her worried and I'm determined to find out what.

I pull up a chair and join her at the table. Her eyes move to mine and she gives me bright smile that causes butterflies to take fight in my stomach.

"Done getting embarrassed?" She ask teasingly. A blush spread across my cheeks and she giggles.

"Yeah for today anyway. What are you doing over here?"

"Just reading" she places a hand on the cover of the book her fingers playing with the edges.

"You've been sitting here for hours. Maybe you need a change of scenery."

Currently we're in the newly finish pack house. It's where Jared and I reside in to keep order. Renee was also placed here after her pack initiation.

"The weather is nice I suppose I could go to the courtyard" She suggests staring out the window at the bright sunny afternoon.

"I was thinking more along the lines of taking you out on the town maybe a movie, a bite to eat, I will even suffer through some shopping if you want."

"You'd take me shopping?" she ask lifting an eyebrow obviously remembering a previous conversation we had on my extreme dislike of the activity.

"Yes, I'll even sit through those modeling shows you ladies put on for us AND I'll answer all questions when you ask for my opinion as long as one of the stores you visit is Victoria Secret. After all I would need some type of reward"

"How selfless of you" She says rolling her eyes and smiling.

"Well I'm a giver. So what do you say are you up for a day out on the town?" I watch as the smile falls from her face and her mood seemingly plummeting with it.