Chapter 34

Chapter 34 - Domineering CEO Novels (1)

Yue Zhuo scratched his head with a guilty conscience. “……”

“Have you given it some thought?”

Lu JingYan’s low and magnetic voice came from above Chi Ying’s head. The air was silent for a few seconds and Chi Ying never heard a response coming from Yue Zhuo. 

She looked up, at loss. Her pitch-black eyes limpid. “You are talking to me?”

Lu JingYan’s look deepened and his voice cold. “Oushi’s HR has yet to receive your resume.”

Chi Ying declined him politely. “I am not planning on signing with any companies as of yet.”

“Oh? Is that so?” said Lu JingYan with his eyes lowered. “You are already a senior in college. When will be a better time to sign? And what are you waiting for?”

Chi Ying frowned slightly and said, “Boss Lu, you and I are but acquaintances. That is a personal question.”

“I have read your resume before the banquet,” said Lu JingYan as he casted her a slight glance. “I don’t hire employees based on relationships so I don’t need to be very close to you.”

“……” He’s recruiting her? But wasn’t his first question to her whether they had met before?

“Is that also why your assistant reached out for me?” asked Chi Ying.

Lu JingYan ignored her question but pointed at Yue Zhuo with his look, “You two are close?”

The change of subject by Lu JingYan was quite abrupt. Chi Ying, without looking over Yue Zhuo, did not deny. “Mmm.”

Yue Zhuo, shocked, quickly shook his head. “No, no, no. We are not close to each other, not close.”

Chi Ying looked over at Yue Zhuo. “????” So that’s how you treat your friendlies?

Yue Zhuo, catching the drift, was about to give up his seat for Lu JingYan. Lu JingYan, his look chilled even further, turned and left.

***

After dinner, Yue Zhuo wiped his hands on a wet towel and said, “This is actually my turf. You don’t need to treat me.”

“Your turf?”

“Yes. This is my family’s restaurant.”

Chi Ying frowned a bit and said, “I wanted to take you out to dinner to thank you. If you don’t let me pay… this meal would not be meaningful.”

“Well, I am not the one you should treat. You should treat…”

Yue Zhuo looked around, worried that he’d be overheard. Lu JingYan was also paying at the front with his back to them right now. 

Yue Zhuo felt a guilty conscience. He worried that Lu JingYan had ears on his back and he decided against telling her the truth but said instead, “Well, alright then.”

Chi Ying wanted to wait till Lu JingYan finished and left before she went up to pay. But Lu JingYan was still at the front desk after 10 minutes, perhaps because of some machine error. 

With Yue Zhuo giving her the you-want-me-to-take-care-of-this-meal look, Chi Ying had no choice but to get up. She straightened out the hem of her dress and walked toward the front desk. 

She was still a meter from Lu JingYan when she slowed down in her steps but someone suddenly bumped into her violently. 

As it turned out, a female server was so distracted by Lu JingYan that she had forgotten to watch where she was going and whether there was someone in front of her. She shouted out, “Aye, careful!”

Chi Ying lost her balance, stumbled forward, and ran straight into Lu JingYan’s back. 

Lu JingYan turned around just in time to catch her. 

The softness on Chi Ying’s chest bummed straight into his right arm along with her entire weight. They pressed up against him and he felt an odd sensation; an electrifying feeling shot through his entire body.