16. consequences

"I don't want to do this, Robin

    "I don't want to do this, Robin."

    "It'll be okay." He grinned widely at me, grabbing my hand and putting it on top of his heart. "Tell me what you feel."

    "I feel your heartbeat."

    "No! Tell me what I'm feeling."

    "You know I don't need to touch you to do this, right?"

    "Keep it there." He pressed down on my hand. "What am I feeling?"

    "You feel..." As hard as I focused, I couldn't sense it. "I don't know what you feel."

    "Do you want me to tell you?"

My heart started pounding. "Okay."

    He pulled me close—so close, that I was forced to crawl into his lap. With both his hands on mine, he held it towards his heart. "I feel like—" A shocked look spread across his face.

    "Robin?"

    He glanced down, gripping my hand with all his might.

    "Robin, what's wrong?"

    He tried to speak, but blood started spurting from his mouth.

    "What?" His hands were crushing mine. "Robin, let go!"

    His hands finally pried off of mine, revealing the knife through his heart underneath.

    "No," I wept. "No, no, no..."

    My eyes snapped open and I was gasping largely for breath, sweating through the sheets.

    It was still dark out. I glanced at the clock on my left: 4:30. Only two hours since the last nightmare.

    I forced myself out of bed, heading into the bathroom to run cold water over my face. The moment I looked up into the mirror, I gasped. Corvi, decayed and rotten peering over my shoulder. But the moment I turned around, there was nothing.

    I rubbed my eyes. Nothing.

    I'm seeing things.

Mount Justice
October 23, 17:21 EDT

    There was no rest for me anymore.

Each day was a never ending cycle. First, waking up in Central—usually multiple times in the middle of the night, then the morning if I'm lucky. Zoning out in school for seven hours, barely processing a single word said to me, even if it was from Kylie. Training angrily in the cave with Wonder Woman or Canary or whoever. Smoking in a hidden corner on the beach, hating myself for my disgusting habits. Then, go home to Central City to do it all over again.

The only difference now was that the team seemed to be on a more similar wavelength.

We couldn't talk as much, couldn't laugh. All any of us could think about was watching one another die; the fear that overcomes you when you realize there's nothing you can do to save your friends or your planet—a fear they were encountering for the first time.