21. an open mind

Central CityDecember 18, 15:18 CDT

Central City
December 18, 15:18 CDT

"Hi, Mary." I shuffled in through the front door, arms filled with untouched canvases and supplies. I had less than a month to scrounge up a submission for the showcase, and I'd yet to start. Every time I picked up a pencil, my mind seemed to go blank.

"Hi, dear, how was school?"

"The same." I sounded disappointed. "But my friend Kylie convinced me to do the showcase."

I underplayed how miserable I actually was; barely sleeping or eating. Everything in the day just seemed dull.

"I was hoping you'd reconsider. You're so talented" she smiled. "And you'll have the whole winter break to work on it."

    I admired her optimism. "I guess that's true. Is Wally—" A gust of wind whipped through my hair, "...Home?"

    "Miss me?"

    "Nope," I said, as my receiver went off.

    "Mission? Why didn't I get an alert?"

    "Dunno." I set all my things down to check. "It isn't from Batman, though. It's Robin."

    "Ah," Wally nodded, "Date night."

    I sounded a little too defensive. "We are not dating!"

    "Maybe shower before you go," Wally sniffed me. "Or magic yourself clean."

    "I thought you don't believe in magic?"

    "I do if it gets rid of the 'rich kid school' stench."

    "You know, you don't smell all that great yourself." I already began to head out the door, but peeked back in with one final request, "Oh, bring my stuff up for me, will you?"

    "Wha-ugh," he groaned. "Fine!"

Bruges
December 22, 20:08 CET

    "Damen und Herren! Mesdames et Messieuers. Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Haly International Travelling Circus! Where the world in the center ring is your oyster and these are our latest pearls! The Daring Dangers!"

    "Dan Danger. Dawn Danger" Robin and M'gann on the trapeze. "Diane Danger. Dane Danger." Artemis and Roy, still doing archery but... flashier. "Dean Danger." Superboy throwing heavy things in the air. "And Dana Danger!" Me, flipping around on a tightrope, trying not to fall to my death, which already happens too often.

    The tightrope was the highest thing in the room, connected to the two platforms Robin and M'gann were launching off of. I walked carefully to the middle, the rope wobbling under me. I bounced a bit, gaining some momentum before I was tumbling through the air, hoping that I could manage to land upright.