29. date night

Mount JusticeFebruary 20, 03:24 EST

Mount Justice
February 20, 03:24 EST

    "Psimon planted mental suggestions in the minds of his doctors and nurses," Nightwing explained. They've been tending to an empty hospital bed for months. I'm sorry."

    "It had to happen eventually."

    I forced myself not to react, fearing the lack of remorse in her voice.

    "So, no sign of any alien tech?"

    "None," Karen answered. "Though, what we found was strange enough."

    "It was clear in Shimmer's mind that Queen Bee was acting as a middle man delivering abducted humans to an unknown partner."

    Nightwing and I both perked up at the mention of this. This piece of information fit perfectly in the puzzle we and Kaldur worked to uncover.

    "We questioned all the abductees," Barbara said. "Most were runaways. All were kidnapped after the destruction of Malina Island and the Kroloteans."

    "So if the Bialyans weren't kidnapping humans for the Kroloteans—"

    "Then who is this partner?" Nightwing finished my thought.

    "Another unanswered question," Cassie sighed.

    "New questions keep the investigation moving forward," Nightwing approached Cassie. "You saved lives and you got each other home safe. It's a successful mission in our book."

    My arm wrapped roughly around Cassie's shoulder. In that moment, I understood why Diana looked at us the way she did; why she found it hard to refuse more protégés. There was a certain pride felt, knowing someone under your guidance succeeded.

    "Good work, Alpha," Nightwing smiled. "Head home and get some rest."

    One by one the girls left, until Dick and I were alone. "So the boom tube activity is directly linked to the Light, who are directly linked to an unknown partner, who aren't the Kroloteans," I recounted, storing the lens back in the case. "What'd you think?"

    "It didn't blow up."

    I nudged his arm. "I mean the program."

    "Ow. Super strength, remember?" he rubbed his arm. "Few bumps with the mirror imaging and comm clarity, but I think we can really build up something great with this."

    "We?" I glared. "I don't remember you helping me build and program something smaller than a button."

    "I know, I know. You're the genius, I'm just the help," he raised his hands in surrender. "But I was right about you enjoying the mission."

    "No, I did not enjoy encountering Psimon in Bialya, again, and almost falling to my death, again." I prodded his chest, "You owe me big time, Bird Boy."