31. the plan

hello, the artwork for chapters 25, 27, 28 & 29 has been updated.
happy reading :)

Gotham City
TWO YEARS EARLIER

    "That's everything," Dick set down the last box. "Do you want to start unpack—"

    I collapsed down onto the couch, my head planted in my hands as I failed to hold it together.

    "Rens," he knelt down instantly. "I know it's hard, but it'll be okay."

    "It's not okay." My tired and over-cried eyes met with his.

    If I had just been there—if I had just gone with him—everything would be different.

    "That's why we're here, remember? We'll get some space from the cave and you can take the time you need to mourn."

    That was the last thing I wanted to do, if I even knew how.

    I had no idea what to do at all. Moving in with Dick was a decision that came out of loneliness. The only thing that made sense was having him as close as possible.

    "I need you."

    "You have me, Rens."

Gotham City
March 17, 22:00 EST

    "No," I stood toe to toe with him. "I'm not letting you do this."

    "Artemis already agreed to it and Kaldur knows. This is what we need if we really want to stop the Light."

    "What does Wally have to say about all of this?"

    This awful undercover plan that endangers some of the people closest to us. I was already skeptical when Kaldur and Dick first created this mess, but now it was going too far.

    "Wally doesn't have a say in this. It's Artemis's decision at the end of the day."

    "And what happens if Kaldur can't protect her in there? What happens if she gets caught and then actually killed?" I suggested. "Dick, there's more at risk than just uncovering the stupid Light."

    "We have been planning this for months Rens, you've just got to trust—"

    "You mean you've been planning this for months. I thought we were leading the team together, yet I keep finding out about the plan after the fact."

    "I'm sorry, but I knew you wouldn't agree with it. I figured if Artemis said no, then we wouldn't have to have this argument at all."

"You shouldn't have put her in that position in the first place," I argued. "Do you not remember our failsafe exercise? All the hurt and problems that seeing Artemis die caused? You're doing that to them all over again and for what? For a mission?"

"Yes for a mission! I was there in that exercise, Rens, and if there's anything you and I learned it's that sometimes we just need to do our job."

"Our job is not to put our friends in life or death situations, or to lie to everyone we're in charge of. You're sounding like Batman."

That wasn't the right thing to say. It hit the most sensitive nerve possible in Dick; I could see it on his face.

It was the kind of comment that would make him run away.