27. personal business

Gotham February 13, 14:00 EDT

Gotham
February 13, 14:00 EDT

    The moment I set foot on the campus, I wanted to walk away.

    Considering I was supposed to be some kind of fearless superhero, I was terrified by how many people were around. The intimidation was similar to Gotham Academy, only this place was ten times as big and there were no student liaisons to guide me. Even Fawn would be a godsend in this place.

    I stepped into my first class, instantly overwhelmed by everyone bustling around me. They walked haphazardly to their seats, not caring if their bags hit me or feet stepped on mine. Anyone who bothered to look my way, was actually looking me up and down; scanning me before saying nothing.

    I shuffled into the furthest seat in the back, hardly paying attention to the lecture. All I could notice was the amount of people surrounding me. It made my breath shorten and my palms sweat.

    Finally, it all became too much and I had to get up and run into the nearest bathroom.

    I locked myself away in a stall, fighting the urge to cry or call someone for help. I'd never experienced this before—panic from too many people. Then again, almost every setting in my life has been small, isolated.

    Coming here was a complete mistake.

    My crying paused hearing someone else in the bathroom with me. "Iris?"

    I held my breath altogether at my name.

    They knocked on the stall door, repeating themselves, "Iris?"

    "...Y-yeah?"

    "I thought it was you in class. I didn't realize you were back."

    My brow furrowed even further. "Kylie?"

    "Yeah, speaking."

    I tried to wipe my face clean. "I forgot you go here."

    "That'll happen when you disappear without a word for two years."

    I closed my eyes to fight the guilt. "Look, I'm sorry about that."

    "You know, I even went as far as asking Grayson where you went. Figured he would be the least likely to know." Hearing that only made me feel worse, considering Kylie never liked Dick. She was the one who'd console me when I cried, or let me stay at her place when I couldn't bear being in the apartment alone. "All he said was that you left the country for college," she scoffed. "But I guess that didn't work out if you're here."