17

sorry for all the updates.  

---

17. 

March 21, 2015

10:15 PM

Olivia Coleman

Bethany has been speaking to Blake for a while now, but Matthew and I haven't spoken yet. I don't plan on speaking to him, and I planned that when Bethany was finished talking to Blake, I was going to stick with Blake for the rest of the trip. I've developed something for Blake – a bond, I guess I could say. It's sad to know that after the Purge is over, we'd be separated. 

Then that's when it came across my mind. "Matthew," I dared to start a conversation with him. I moved closer to him so that Bethany and Blake wouldn't be able to eavesdrop. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "What's going to happen after the Purge? With Bethany and Blake?" I asked him and he pondered for a while. 

"Well...I don't want to lose contact with Bethany," Matthew replied, and I kind of expected that he was going to say that. It was evident now that Matthew was interested in Bethany. "So, I guess we'll have to stick with them until the Purge is over, and I can take her out when it's safe." 

"Honestly, Matthew...I'm kind of hesitating on this," I confessed to him, glancing behind me to see that Bethany and Blake were talking to each other, but they glanced at me. They both smiled at me until I looked back at Matthew. It kind of weirded me out. "Maybe we should find them a place now. I don't think they should come with us any further. I mean, protest all you want, but I don't think we'd still keep in touch after this." 

Matthew looked taken back by what I confessed, but he slowly turned angry. "I'm not going to just leave Bethany alone now, Olivia!" he growled, shooting an intimidating glare at me. "There are people out there that can harm her, and I won't allow her to get hurt!"

"Allowing them to come along with us will put them in danger, Matthew. I'm being serious – let's find them a place to stay now. Let's give them some of our food to help them survive. Then, when we've rescued Lauren and Cameron, we can come back when the Purge ends and then you can go on your damn date." 

"They are staying with us, and that's final." Matthew said, slowly and making sure I understood. "But, if you're so protective, then maybe you and Blake can find some place to stay while Bethany and I go out and save Lauren and C. She talked to me, Olivia, and she told me she likes an adventure. I think she'd do me more help than you ever would." Matthew smirked and I scoffed, rolling my eyes and looking back to the front, trying to ignore what Matthew said. But I couldn't; it was true. 

Someone tapped me in the shoulder, making me look back. Bethany nodded and smiled, and I knew that meant she was done speaking to Blake. I gladly (and quite briskly) exchanged spots with her and I already felt better just by being beside Blake. 

"What were you two talking about anyways?" I questioned Blake, though I wasn't going to be persistent on knowing the answer. Blake shrugged nonchalantly. 

"We were just talking about what would happen after this, you know? Like, after the Purge, and stuff." Blake answered me and I grinned, chuckling slightly because that's what Matthew and I were talking about, as well. 

Despite the grin on my face and despite the chuckle I made, is it wrong that I don't actually believe him?

---