02

02.

March 21, 2015

6:35 PM

Olivia Coleman

Matthew and I reached the supermarket in a hurry because time was now precious. It was only thirty minutes we have to get the food, pay for it, and go back to the house safely. Of course, out the both of us, I was the frantic one while Matthew seemed perfectly calm.

"What do we do?" I questioned as I followed around like a lost puppy as he snatched a grocery cart and hurried to one of the aisles. I looked around; there were a couple of other people here with the same dilemma as we did.

"Just follow me and put food in the cart," he ordered sternly and I nodded, my hands nervously playing with the strap of my backpack I brought. We arrived at one aisle and, just like he instructed me to do, I grabbed different varieties of foods from the shelves and threw them in the cart. "What time is it?" asked Matthew as we both raced to another aisle.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and turned it on, my eyes bulging wide at what I read. "It's 6:47," I replied and heard Matthew curse under his breath. "We better hurry!"

We both quickened our paces and grabbed the last of what we needed, which wasn't too much. After we had a good and affordable supply of food and drinks for both Matthew and I, and Lauren and Cameron, we sprinted to the cashier area, where only two out of about ten were opened.

Matthew and I lined up at one that had only four people before, and we both impatiently waited. After a while, it was finally our turn. We were a bit delayed because the boy behind the counter was paying attention to the TV behind him instead of his customers.

"Excuse me, we're kind of in a hurry!" Matthew growled, which got the boy's attention. He began scanning our items shakily, but the terror-making alarm echoed throughout the grocery store, making him stop completely.

It was positive that everyone's eyes widened - even Matthew's did. The boy, Matthew and I both shifted our gazes to the mini TV the boy was looking at earlier, and a blue colour was shown the words 'Emergency Broadcast System' showed on the top in white, bold letters.

Shit.

---