00

00. prologue

Being terrified would be understandable. Everything - every pessimistic emotion, doubt, the fear I would feel when I walked down the dark, murky streets of Virginia - would be understandable in this situation. How exactly can you not be living paranoid and in fright? It's the Purge for goodness' sakes!

Twelve hours of crimes occurring, that will not be considered illegal; that's something you need to be afraid of, once every year. People can murder you, kidnap children, do anything, and no police can be involved to rescue you, nor any medical care to help you. If you're dreadfully injured and cannot be saved, then you're done.

Too bad for you; it's a game over.

No one will get a consequence for your death, no matter how brutal it was. Not if you're murdered during the twelve hours when all crimes are legal (7pm to 7am on March 21st to March 22nd). If so, then just consider yourself road kill to the many more people that pass by your lifeless body that lays in an alleyway, either trying to get away from someone - or trying to find.

The government is stupid to make up this Purge - and they don't have a good enough reason for it, either. It is made just to cleanse - to lessen the population of the people, mostly the poor and less-wealthy ones.

In my opinion, no one should be brutally murdered. If anyone, it should be the government officials that should be murdered, to show them what the people have been suffering from - but that's the only illegal thing during the night of the Purge (to murder government officials that hold a rank ten), besides the rule of where weapons over class four are not supposed to be used.

You have a choice whether or not you want to take part in the killing, but it's not you're choice to be part of it. You're still on a slaughter list, and you still are capable of getting murdered, as terrible as that sounds.

But it's true.

I had to take part of it. I didn't want to be a part of it, but I was forced to be part of it. Not by a person persuading me, but by my choice - just to save a person who means too much to me. I had to go out there - where all hell breaks loose.

But you see - I didn't do it alone. I did it with a boy who is way more experienced than me. We were strangers; we never knew the other existed until we met. But he, too, had the same dilemma as I did, so I decided that it was best if we both stuck together. And boy, it was one hell of a journey for the both of us.

Despite the encounters we had that we didn't want to have, the worst part of the journey was the anxiety we were feeling. Because, as mentioned many times before, we were in the Purge.

Who knew what kind of shit was happening to them already?

---