05

05.

March 21, 2015 

7:10 PM

Olivia Coleman 

As expected of me to do, my jaw dropped and my eyes bulged wide as I looked at Matthew in disbelief. My mind was swirling; I couldn't think straight. But then again, how could you when you found out that your best friend and her boyfriend have been kidnapped during the Purge? Anything could have happened to them already - for all I know, they could be dead!

Shut the hell up, Olivia, my mind scolded me for being so negative. Think optimistic thoughts. 

"K-kidnapped?" I asked with a stutter, and Matthew nodded nonchalantly, rolling his eyes impatiently. Despite his rudeness, I've got to give the guy some worship. His best friend was kidnapped and he was being calm about it. 

"That's what I said." Matthew replied and began walking around, me following him once again. I guess I was now in trauma; I was afraid that maybe someone was hiding in the house and would attack me once Matthew was out of the scene. 

Anything could happen, after all. 

"Well, how would you know if they did?" I tentatively asked, still following him everywhere as he studied the house. So far, he's been all around the downstairs area and was making his way up the stairs. 

"I just...well, if they were murdered, then there would be blood everywhere, right?" He grumbled and abruptly stopped, automatically making me stop. He turned to me, irritation as his expression. "Look, can you just stay down and here and stop following me? I'm trying to scan the house."

"Yeah, I know. And you can continue doing that. But...I don't want to stay down here by myself." I muttered and bit the inside of my cheek. All he did was roll his eyes and point towards the living room. 

"Stay there."

"No, I don't want to stay alone."

"Goddammit, Olivia! No one is going to hurt you, okay? I searched the downstairs area and no one was hiding, so just fucking listen!" Matthew raised his voice and I stepped back one step, nodding and pursing my lips. 

"Fine, fine! I'll stay." I agreed and turned my heel, walking down the stairs completely. As I walked to the living room, I heard Matthew murmur a "finally" before I heard footsteps. Once I knew he was gone, I tensed up and cautiously looked around the place. 

I sat on the couch and glanced around the messy area. And at the moment, the feelings all seemed to hit me and made a severe impact on me. I began to cry slowly at first, but eventually, it seemed like the tears wouldn't stop coming. I had to keep wiping my face with the sleeves of my jacket. 

One part of my brain was giving me optimistic thoughts, telling me that Lauren and Cameron were both alive and just have minor injuries, but the other side gave me pure pessimistic thoughts, telling me that Lauren and Cameron were getting beat up badly and were probably already dead. All because of this stupid fucking Purge! 

"So, no one is hiding and- oh my god, why are you crying?" I heard Matthew's voice as he came into the room. His tone was filled with annoyance, but there was a hint of amusement. I looked at him with a dull expression. 

"Why am I crying?" I quoted him and scoffed, standing up. "For heaven's sakes, my best friend got kidnapped, and she might even be dead!" My voice shook. Matthew crossed his arms and waited until I calmed down, which I eventually did after a minute. 

"Listen, Lauren and Cameron are not dead, okay? They're going to be safe." Matthew assured me, but I could tell he was unsure himself. 

"Well, how would you know, Matthew? There are how many people attending the Purge? There's no way they're going to be safe."

"Yes there is, Olivia, and you wanna know how?" 

"How?" 

"I'm going to find them." 

---