22

22.

March 22, 2015

12:30 AM

Matthew Espinosa

Olivia fell asleep an hour ago, but I was still wide awake. I knew I needed to sleep, but I just couldn't - not when I had Olivia with me. I couldn't fall asleep and risk the danger for her. Anything could happen to my Olivia, and I would never want that to happen. 

But it wasn't just the thought of Olivia getting harmed keeping me awake; it was also the adrenaline in my body. I know that we're close to the destination I'm sure Cameron and Lauren are held in, and I'm positive the captors of them wouldn't hesitate to harm both Olivia and I. 

I don't really care about me, though. I only cared about what they were going to do to Olivia. Throughout this journey, two boys wanted to rape her for the Purge, and it's not doubtful that the captors of Cameron and Lauren would want to do it to her, too. Maybe they already did it to Lauren.

Poor Cameron, I thought, pessimistic thoughts rushing into my minds. But I had to force those pessimistic thoughts out of my brain and had to think optimistic in this situation – though it is pretty hard. 

Olivia hummed in her sleep and she moved from where she was, taking my attention. Her eyes were still closed and she nuzzled her head in my chest, making me smile down at her. I tightened my arms around her and kept her as close to me as possible. 

I gave her a kiss on her head before leaning back on the brick wall, looking outside, through the cracks of the boarded up window. The Purge is stupid. I never really thought of it before, but now I've realized how stupid it actually is, because it put a lot of danger to loved ones and the homeless people on the streets, and those people who aren't very safe on their own. 

I've realized it now, when I had a reason to: Olivia. 

I am so fucking scared to take her out tomorrow, to search for the captors of Cameron and Lauren. I am terrified to take her into a warehouse that could be (probably is) guarded by dangerous, armed men. Even in here, in this abandoned warehouse, locked up in my arms, she's still not safe.

And tomorrow, when the sun rises and we have to get going, I might not be able to protect her for the load of hellish shit to come.  

---