Innocent

March 16th

The library was quiet but the number of students had increased tremendously. Whenever I used to come before, there would be, at most, 10 to 20 students but now there were at least over 50.

I slowly made my way through the mass and entered the section of the library that I wanted to. I slowly pulled out a book from the shelf. The Women in White by Wilkie Collins. It was a popular mystery novel that I had wanted to read.

"Ah, hello there, Ayanokoji-kun."

A silver bell-like voice called out to me and I turned to see Shina Hiyori from Class C looking at me beamingly.

"Hello. You are here to get books as well."

She inched closer and started putting the books she had been carrying with her on the shelf, carefully and gracefully.

"I had actually come to return these books but I may as well pick a new one."

She then started looking at the books, scrutinizing her eyes. She picked up a book. In cold blood by Truman Capote.

"Have you read this before?" She asked. "Yes, it's good. It-"

Placing forth her hand before me she spoke. "Okay, hold it right there. No spoilers." She looked serious as she said that. I understood that. I would hate it if someone spoiled a book I was about to read. It will suck out all the fun.

"I had no such intention."

"So, Ayanokoji-kun, want to sit with me and chat for a while?"

She said with eyes full of expectation that I couldn't bring myself to say no to.

"Okay."

"Yay!" She grabbed my arms and pulled me along with her, leading me to a corner of the library. Since there weren't many seats available, I had to sit beside her.

"They are all studying hard, aren't they?"

Watching over the students who were busy studying, she spoke. The second half of the final special exam had been announced just two days ago. More than announced it was just published on the school website and we had read the rules and conditions from the website. It required all the students to go through different exams and that was why they were all studying hard.

"Yes, they are. What about you?"

She also had to take the exam but she didn't look concerned in the slightest.

"I will have no problem clearing the exam and as for the rest I will leave it to Ryuen-san and the others."

She looked carefree as she said that. Although I asked her why she was taking it easy, she was showing no signs of asking me that. After all, I was also goofing around instead of studying. She seemed to believe that I will be fine no matter what.

"It might be sudden but Ayanokoji-kun, what will you do after you graduate?"

It really was sudden and I had never thought of what to do after I graduate. For me, the answer was obvious even before I enrolled here.

"I haven't given it any thought."

She looked a bit surprised by my answer.

"Really? You haven't thought of any goals or aims?"

I shook my head from left to right. "What about you? Do you have something in mind?"

She suddenly started flinching. Hmm? Did I ask something weird? Her cheeks were tinged the slightest bit red.

"I-I haven't told about this to anyone. Please don't tell to anyone else and please don't laugh as well, but I want to be a novelist."

Was it something that someone will laugh at? I saw no problem with that.

"That's great."

"R-Really?!"

She asked as if she didn't expect that response from me. I nodded my head in affirmation.

She placed a hand on her chest and heaved a sigh as if she was relieved.

"Promise me Ayanokoji-kun, that you will definitely read the novel that I will write one day." She was really serious about this. I really admired that passion in her.

"Yes, okay. If you manage to become a really famous novelist, then I will read it definitely."

"If you say so, then I will definitely become a super-duper famous mystery novelist!"

She punched the air, burning with determination. Well, that's good to see.

"But I won't know whether you actually will read my book or not. After all, after these three years, I don't know where you will be. And we don't know if we will even be able to meet each other."

She looked a bit sad when saying that. It is not the case of probability and chances. In my case, she will definitely not get to meet me. But there was no need for me to say that to her.

"Ah, that's right!"

She suddenly shot up as if she had stumbled upon a very good idea. She excitedly started rummaging through her bag and took out few books.

"Here."

She presented those books to me with a joyous smile I had never seen on her face before. It was heavy as expected. I accepted those books from her hand and looked at the titles.

"In the Woods by Tana French and The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins." There were some others as well. I had heard the titles before so I could tell that they were all psychological thrillers.

These were definitely not from the library so it was definitely from her private collection. She had given me countless books from her own collection before to read. But I could tell that she had another purpose behind giving them to me now. She was giggling away. She spoke while pointing her finger at me.

"Listen here, Ayanokoji-kun! I have given those books to you to read. But since we have the upcoming special exam you won't have time to read them. And after the exams, there won't be much time for you to read all these. That means no matter what you will have at least a few books to read before you graduate. But these are my books and one should return the books that they have borrowed, right?"

I could only nod.

"So, even after you graduate, you have to return these books to me. I want them back. So, you have to search for me? To return these books you have to find me. Got it?"

I see. So that was what she was implying. I would have to find her, huh?

"Hehe. I see you understood."

She was saying that I will have to search for her after graduation to return these books to the rightful owner, in this case, that was Hiyori.

"That way we can ensure that we will definitely meet even after graduation!"

What a beautiful smile she had. 

There was no guarantee that I would try to find her just to return these books. They are just books and she could easily buy another copy.

But she believed.

She believed that I would find her just to return these books. She had that faith in me.

Honestly, how innocent can this girl be?

She was radiating innocence and charisma right as I contemplate.

That wasn't possible. I wanted to tell her that we would never meet again. Because that was the one and only truth.

But seeing her smile, I couldn't bring myself to say that to her.

"Okay. Got it."

"Yay!"