Midnight Talk

!!TW FOR IMPLIED MURDER AND DEATH!!

Tommy stood behind his mother, clutching her dress and burying his face in it. His mother had one of her arms wrapped loosely around her son, amber eyes wide with fear.

"You don't have to make this difficult Clementine, hand us the boy." The man told her, voice cold and filled with annoyance.

"Mom don't let them take me, please mom I wanna stay with you." The 6 year old whispered, warm salty tears beginning to roll onto his cheeks. 

"Don't worry songbird, I won't let them." She reassured him before addressing the men. "No." His mother stated.

The sound of a sword being un-sheathed hit the family's ears. Clementine picked up on what was happening and picked up Tommy as his father stepped in front of his wife and child, sword in hand. Metal clashed together as his mother ran to her son's room, locking the door and barricading it with his toy box.

"Mom what's happening? Where's dad?" He sobbed as Clementine sorted through his wardrobe, picking out clothes and stuffing them into his favourite bag.

"Pick a teddy Toms, quickly." She instructed him, she sounded out of breath. Tommy rushed over to his bed, snatching a fairly large cow teddy named Henry.

His mother put the bag over his head, making sure the strap didn't irritate his wings before grabbing a pair of his battered trainers and slipping them onto his feet, tying the laces. She opened the window and lifted him onto the window sill.

"You remember the game you played with dad Toms?" She asked the boy, he nodded in response. "We're going to play this game again ok? I'll give you a head start!" Her son giggled, beginning to feel like this was only a silly game. A loud bang at the door caused Clementine to jump, but she quickly plastered on a smile as not to scare her son. She kissed him on the forehead before taking off her amulet, making Tommy wear it instead. "Run as far as you can ok? Run until me and dad catch you ok?" She instructed him breathily. "Run Tommy." She said as the door was swung open.

And Tommy listened.

The 6 year old clambered out of the cabin window, beginning to sprint as he heard his mother yell.

"Run songbird, run!"

A loud scream rang out from his own room before dead silence. Tommy ran as fast as his little feet could carry him, his lungs burned but he had to keep going. 

For mom and dad.

!!OVER!!

[Tommy's POV]

Tommy shot up in his bed, panting. 

He had just relived the part of his life he wished so much to forget. 

The avian stretched, looking around his room. It was a dark red, white and gold accents in the corners. He flung his legs over the edge of the queen sized bed, a walk around the grounds couldn't hurt. The teen rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and began making his way to the main castle doors, his bare feet landed on the cold marble as he walked, he began making his way down the stairs hand holding onto the dark oak banister. The only light that was making everything visible were the stained glass windows that were spread around the hallways, letting the moonlight shine through. 

After what felt like ages of navigating through the castle he found the door leading outside of the building. He took a deep breath, he tried to avoid the main exit often opting for the less used ones that lead outside. He began to walk towards the door but a voice behind him stopped Tommy in his tracks.

"Tommy?" Wilbur asked groggily, his brown hair was a mess and his glasses had lazily been slipped on he was wearing white pyjamas that the boy assumed were made out of silk like his own. "Are you leaving us?" the older looked upset.

"What? No of course I'm not dumbass. Just needed fresh air my brains all junked up." The blonde laughed as the brunettes face twisted at the insult.

"I'll join you then, come on I know a nice part of the walls to sit on." The prince smiled lightly before walking past the avian and grabbing his wrist, dragging him along with him as he walked.

[Wilbur's POV]

The pair sat on a section of the walls surrounding the castle, legs swinging off the edge.

"You said your brain was junked earlier, what do you mean by that?" Wilbur asked the boy next to him.

The blonde sighed.

"Prime you never stop asking questions do you?" Tommy laughed breathily, making the prince elbow him softly in the side of his ribs. "Fine." He mumbled before taking a deep breath. "Don't look too much into this alright? I don't trust you." The brunettes mood dropped slightly but he nodded.

"Imagine the worst event of your life, something you beat yourself over because you should've done something. You should've saved them, and you feel guilty that you didn't even try to fight back. You just nodded along with what they said and believed you were playing a game. You were 6 and now you feel that was old enough to help." The avian boy ranted, he sniffled before hastily trying to wipe the tears welling in his eyes.

"Hey, Tommy it's ok, it's ok." Wilbur attempted to comfort him.

The prince opened his arms slightly, offering a hug to the distressed teen. 

[Tommy's POV]

Tommy watched as the brunette opened his arms, giving an invitation for the avian to hug him.

And that he did.

The blonde collapsed into the prince's arms, though he was determined not to cry his eyes decided that they would anyways. Tears spilled from his eyes as he grabbed onto the silk top. He could hear the older whispering comforts to him, talking about how he was only 6 and it was ok he didn't try to help. The crying eventually subsided and the younger lent on Wilbur's arm.

"We're like brothers y'know?" Tommy said, looking right into the hazel eyes staring back at him that started to fill with tears.

"Don't say that I will cry." The brunette dead-panned, causing them both to start laughing.

The avian shut his eyes, letting himself drift to sleep to the sound of the prince's humming.

Brothers.

That didn't sound too bad.

________________________________________________________________________________

heres your angst, come on eat up my angst starved children. 

also if theres music at the top of the chapter i reccomend listening to it while reading, but for this one id say start listening as you read at "The pair sat on a section of the walls surrounding the castle, legs swinging off the edge."

before major plot theyve gotta make a connection btw, sorry if this is moving a bit slow :)

remember to eat and stay hydrated!

word count: 1161 (woah new record!)