Chapter 12: Battle

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, writing a fight scene is hard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giyuu also adjusted himself into a Chūdan-no-kamae stance–the same one Shinobu had already availed herself of.

He then hauled up his Nichirin blade upwards in a two-handed grip on his katana, with the right hand being situated right above the left hand; the right hand was gripping the tsuka (handle) right beneath the tsuba (guard), while his left hand was gripping the area denoting the bottom half of the handle.

He made direct eye contact with the enemy

He made direct eye contact with the enemy. He did not dare to let his eyes wander about under these stringent and callous conditions; he set eyes fixed on the target.

He still felt the rhythmic jabs of stinging pain on his right shoulder but was au courant with the fact that he couldn't afford to take the luxury of tending to it.

However, in the end, Giyuu's risky gamble paid off; Shinobu wasn't hurt and he only sustained a short-term injury. Thus, he was so far content with the present situation–an audacious sentiment to harbor in these tenuous circumstances.

'She's all right... That's good. I can't keep my guard down anymore.'

Shinobu, conversely, was anything but composed with what had transpired: 'Why did he do that?! Why in the hell would he do that?! What in god's name was his purpose there? To get himself hurt on the shoulder?! He might lose too much blood, which can make him feel weaker, and then that might affect his performance in battle... He needs to be treated now! But there's no time for that. We could retreat... That's a possibility... However, we can't let this thing roam around either. We have to kill it now.'

Shinobu vacillated between whether Giyuu's injury superseded the security exigence of slaying this demon, or vice versa. In other words, she was gravely concerned for her fellow Hashira but acknowledged that this–the demon–was also a matter that beseeched their utmost attention as Hashiras of the Demon Slayer Corps.