Chapter 22: Doubts

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giyuu

Four coffins.

Three bodies.

In the eternal darkness, these were the only material objects to manifest themselves in this realm.

I look over one.

––– Tomioka Tsutako –––

She's lying there. Right there in front of me.

A terrified expression imprinted onto her facial features.

She had been disemboweled; her stomach and other internal organs were conspicuously displayed for the world to see.

I felt like throwing up.

––– 1883-1903 –––

Died at the young age of 20.

She was ten years older than me...

We argued that fateful night.

If only I could take back all the horrible things I said to her.

If only I realized that this would be our last conversation.

I miss you, Nee-san...

I walk over to the next.

––– Sabito –––

His head was missing.

The stain of dark red blood besmirched his apparel.

I can, unfortunately, vividly recall what his physiognomy looked like in those final, godforsaken moments–what his facial expression told me before he departed.

That smile.

He abhorred me for failing to save Makomo, but he still smiled.

I couldn't save him, but he still smiled.

Godammit.

If only I were half as decent a human being he was.

Then maybe I wouldn't be so cowardly.

––– 1893-1906 –––

We were both born in the same year.

We were both 13 years of age when we partook in the final selection.

Next coffin...

––– Makomo –––

Her limbs were nowhere to be found.