Chapter 47: Inauspicious Times

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Himejima Gyomei remained perched against the ligneous floor of this particular residence, sitting seiza-style in accordance with traditional manners and practices.

His side of the room was dimly lit, with but a mere candle providing any semblance of illumination into the physical configurations of this traditionally tailored room.

It didn't help that it was late at night, irrespective of the moon's vacillating contributions; not even the pusillanimous glint of moonlight could reach the inner sanctum of this ceremonial chamber—at least, with regards to where Gyomei was situated.

But this was no inconvenience for the two parties present. Not at all.

As both Gyomei and his interlocutor need not the luxury of eyesight—a luxury they are unfortunately bereft of.

But while Gyomei was not at all troubled by this idiosyncratic impediment, having been born in such circumstances, he could only wonder to what degree his superior has come to terms with the adverse condition—as the loss of vision is a relatively recent ordeal that has distressed the Master.

Ubuyashiki Kagaya, on the other hand, was seated on the opposite end of the room along the Engawa, or veranda platform of the adjacent courtyard.

With shoji screen doors wide open, the aforementioned moonlight bore some strength in its display, providing insight into Kagaya's exact disposition—even as it refused to reach Gyomei's location further deep into the room.

The Master's back was turned against his subordinate, staring into the star-lit sky as he was carefully musing and pondering about certain—but delicate—matters.

The Stone Hashira, meanwhile, patiently awaited directives to be issued by his superior. He wasn't exactly sure why the Master asked for his presence, nor did he seek clarification on the matter.

But the Stone Hashira—the eldest and the most experienced among his peers—was already accustomed to this sedate routine; he knew his inquiries would be answered in due time.

"Caw Caw," an incoming Kasugai Crow called out as it approached the courtyard from above.

Both Kagaya and Gyomei took notice of the sound, with the former raising his right arm as a support for the messenger to land on.

As the bird carefully descended and gently alighted onto the Master's forearm, it promptly relayed a message to the Head of the Demon Slayer Corps—a message of great importance.

"I see," Kagaya acknowledged softly but with a hint of firmness.

It appears there have been crucial events at play, ones that will change the calculus of the Master's current strategy.