Chapter 48: Together

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shinobu slowly opened her eyelids, rousing herself from a moderately long slumber.

It didn't take long for her pupils to adjust to the natural lighting, as the dearth of luminosity within this barren and murky cavern seldom requires much acclimatization in that department.

Almost immediately following that, she found herself craving water: the dry taste in her mouth and the lack of moisture in her throat was an indication of such.

She reached her arm out to her hip and along the belt, within which laid a small canteen of water.

Taking hold of the canteen, she then attempted to pull herself up.

"Here," a voice proffered.

Giyuu, who was sitting upright beside her, offered assistance in this arduous maneuver—since the debilitating nature of Shinobu's injuries made this otherwise simple movement all the more difficult.

Despite arguably being in a worse condition than his partner, Giyuu did the brunt work of pulling Shinobu up.

"You don't need to push yourself," Shinobu lightly chastised as she took a sip from the canteen.

"Look who's talking," Giyuu replied blankly.

"I'm serious," Shinobu answered, not willing to let Giyuu hurt himself for her sake again.

"I'm doing this by choice," Giyuu gave a simple response.

"What if I don't want your help?"

"Doesn't matter."

"It does," Shinobu firmly rejected. "With your injuries, it does."

"You're injured as well," said Giyuu.

"Not as bad as you," Shinobu countered.

"That's irrelev—"

"Giyuu. Don't say that." The Insect Hashira sternly interrupted.

Seeing her determined expression and obstinate refusal to yield this argument, Giyuu let out a heavy sigh.

How many times have they quarreled over these matters? It's obvious neither intends to let the other bear a burden of any sort, and they would rather carry that weight—whatever it may be—themselves.

In other words, they are immensely protective of one another. And they wouldn't forgive themselves if they allowed their beloved to suffer for their sake.

At this point in their newly found relationship, this visceral area of contention has been internally acknowledged by both Giyuu and Shinobu, but their stubborn personalities refuse to amend their ways.