Chapter 27: Dreamscape

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a heads up, I'm gonna focus on writing shorter chapters from now on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shinobu slowly unsealed her eyelids, bringing the immeasurable, detailed light rays and configurations emitted by the vicinity to her visual spectrum.

She let out a lethargic groan; despite her mental cognizance, her physical being was mired in a state of utter lassitude.

The fatigue bit into her bones as if they were attempting to cajole her to fall back asleep. Her eyes felt unbearably heavy–another physical stimulus aiming to revert the body back to its antecedent state–during those initial seconds of her return to reality.

Shinobu shifted her body around slightly, making note of her surroundings and her current position, orientation, and posture.

She finally mustered the energy to elevate herself whilst straightening her back.

It appears she's perched onto a wooden chair with a large, round table situated right in front of her.

She recognizes that her head was hitherto lying on the table's surface while the forearms were employed as a substitute for pillows.

In other words, she was napping.

Shinobu wearily scanned her surroundings, the soporific nature of her persistent drowsiness still hampering her movements and thought processes.

But, alas, such inconveniences are merely the common symptoms of being suddenly roused from a deep sleep.

Thus, with each passing second, she was becoming more responsive to her environment and able to regain more and more of her consciousness.

The air felt warm and comforting–a likely cause of her slumber–and her irregular sleeping posture did not implicate the body with an iota of aches or sore sensations.

Upon erecting the back into a proper disposition, Shinobu was able to more clearly discern her surroundings.

'Where... am I?' was the first thought that came into mind.

She found herself in a kitchen-like setting. A plethora of items and furniture would corroborate such an observation: A dining table, stove, refrigerator, sink, pantry, and many more furnishings were present to complement this particular room's niche and function.

Shinobu felt wholly confused, 'What am I doing here...?"

She then felt a shuffle underneath her arms–which were still resting on the dining table.