Chapter 45: Brawl

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blood.

Sweat.

Death.

Weariness.

It was very early in the morning—somewhere around 4 AM—but the darkness continued to envelop every last vector of the visible Earth. The atmosphere was tense, yet the voices fell silent.

The vicinity was entirely composed of trees, bushes, and undergrowth. However, unlike the green luster that defines a typical forest, this particular nature seemed more analogous to supernatural characteristics beyond that of a meager woodland.

The shading of the trees was neither vividly vibrant nor a testament to mother nature's wonders; rather, they exuded more of an anemic complexion that emitted barely any fluorescent lighting witnessed during the daytime.

It was a very sinister environment.

The air was crisp, as black ash and brickle grime suffocated the lungs of every inhabitant. Uniforms were begrimed with dirt and blood after days of incessant combat with foes.

Such were the circumstances present on Mount Fujikasane.

These pervasive conditions would beleaguer every novice slayer in the Final Selection Examinations, the selective process administered by the Demon Slayer Corps by which young swordsmen are given the opportunity to prove that they are capable enough to officially join the ranks of the Corps.

With little resources and no outside help, these slayers are tasked with surviving seven consecutive nights within the perimeters of a mountain rife with captured demons.

It is merciless and most exhausting in its application, but only the cream of the crop could possibly endure the even harsher life that awaits them after admittance into the Demon Slayer Corps.

Thus, the need for well-trained slayers warranted the hazards of this setting.

That didn't make it any less stressful though, even for the brightest amongst the applicants.

Including a certain group of disciples.

SLASH

Giyuu managed to lop off a demon's head, scoring another kill of the many he had acquired on this particular night.

He then quickly scanned his surroundings.

It was already the seventh and final night of the Selection, and Giyuu was feeling wholly homesick and fatigued.