Chapter 44: Duel

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the base of Mount Sagiri, in the early hours of this picturesque spring morning, there stood a small hut covering the surface area of a traditional Minka household with a vernacular structure—stones and hand-made planks constitute the material makeup of the roof and walls.

As the cool, crisp air gently breezed through the environment, representing the waning vestiges of the cold climate in the winter months, rays of sunshine ostentatiously beamed life into the area.

This was an attestation to the coming of spring, the end of the numbingly cold and dark nights of winter, and the beginning of warmer and brighter days.

Within the hut, a boy was fast asleep—exhausted from training from the preceding day.

However, this respite would be cut short with a summoning.

"Sabito..." a soft, feminine voice whispers.

"Mm..." the peach-haired boy moaned in his sluggishness.

"Sabito," the girl repeated.

"Five more minutes..." he groaned in response.

With her comrade still confined to the futon, Makomo struggled to free Sabito from his much-beloved slumber.

"Urokodaki-sensei wants us outside," she tapped him on the shoulder.

"Huh...? Urokodaki...?" Sabito mumbles in a slurred diction.

"He says it's urgent," Makomo added.

Sabito immediately pulled himself up in a frenzy, "Why didn't you say that first?! If he says it's urgent, then we gotta get moving!"

Indeed, Urokodaki's heavy emphasis on punctuality and attendance is most notorious amongst his students.

"Because you look cute when you're sleeping," Makomo smiled.

"S-Stop saying weird things!" Sabito replied sheepishly, trying his best to hide the creeping sense of embarrassment he was undergoing.

"C'mon, let's go!" He grabbed a hold of Makomo's hand and bolted for the egress.

*Rattle*

He quickly slid the entrance door open and stepped out alongside Makomo.

It was then that they were greeted by two people.

One of them was a familiar face, or, rather, a lack thereof because of the mask: the water-breathing cultivator, Urokodaki Sakonji.

Another was this boy.