Chapter 34: The Light at the End of the Tunnel

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shinobu

I stood before a tunnel of some sort.

The surrounding environment was a pitch-black chasm of barren color and texture; it reminded me of the Fountain of Illusions.

However, facing me was this passageway furnished with a translucent trail inundated with a deluge of water—the liquid reaching up to my ankles.

The pathway's conspicuous outline was defined by the infinitely-long line of trees—which extended far ahead into the distance, beyond my line of vision—situated to the sides.

The trees, though, were quite unusual as they adorned leaves with a strong, scintillating red pigmentation. In other words, the reddish hue emitted from the leaves shimmered and reflected off of the sodden, swampy ground—thereby giving the general area a crimson shading.

Moreover, as if they were oak trees in autumn, the leaves were detaching from the branches and descended like a cascade of hail. The fallen blades all engulfed the surface of the reservoir with their physical and visual presence. What's strange is that there seemed to be an endless supply of leaves; they did not stop falling nor did the trees appear to be more bare.

Along the trunks of these idiosyncratic trees reposed a series of overlapping and winding streams of glassy crystals. And although they did not enclose the entirety of the ligneous trunk, their occupancy was to such an extent as to effectuate a refracting phenomenon—allowing the light waves to coruscate and convey several different colors.

The result was a picturesque image that evoked—if it were not for the pathway and trees—color in the void, light within the darkness, and vitality in the desolate landscape.

Almost like a Wisteria Forest.

It wasn't heavenly-like, but neither was it indicative of something more sinister.

It was just... mythical.