Chapter 21: Mission Complete?

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kocho...?" Giyuu stared at her with perplexity.

"Good morning, Tomioka," Shinobu, who was seated seiza-style right next to him, simply smiled.

It was early morning, about ten days since Akihiro Yui had admitted the Hashiras into her makeshift hospital.

Since then, Shinobu has made a speedy recovery to the degree in which she was able to somewhat traverse the halls and corridors of the house now. Giyuu, meanwhile, still was confined to bed–still suffering from physical conditions that necessitated further convalescence.

Nevertheless, the Water Hashira–who was hitherto incapable of even staying awake–has made great progress in the department of regaining consciousness.

Thus, upon being fully cognizant that morning, Giyuu is now finally in direct contact with Shinobu–someone he has greatly yearned to meet with over the past week.

Of course, the Water Hashira was utterly at a loss for words whence his eyes met that of the Insect Hashira's.

Shinobu continued, "I didn't want to trouble Akihiro-dono, so I offered to wake you up myse–"

Giyuu immediately grabbed a hold of her, his arms enclasped her girth; he embraced tightly, not wanting to let go at all.

After watching her die twice, and thinking that it really happened in reality, all Giyuu needed was to see her again–to see her alive and well.

This is further compounded by the fact that Giyuu deduced Shinobu's intention to employ extreme measures in order to defeat Douma.

Thus, Giyuu was at a sort of crossroads; he wasn't sure what to do anymore. Should he work to 'save' Shinobu like before? But wouldn't that be going against Shinobu's will?

Would Shinobu hate him if he tried to hamper her efforts?

He didn't want that. She's the last person he'd want to lose; there would be no one else if she left him.

But, for now, he just wanted to savor the moment and appreciate how things could've gotten worse but didn't.

"T-Tomioka..." Shinobu stammers slightly.

Yet, under normal circumstances, Shinobu would have either been stuttering from embarrassment or sheepishly attacking Giyuu like some tsundere in direct response to such a daring maneuver.

But, alas, things were different now.

Beforehand, Shinobu refused to acknowledge her genuine feelings; she kept it locked up and obstinately attempted to subdue it.