Chapter 41: Guilt

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Rattle*

As the shoji screen slid open, a young girl made her presence known and walked into the designated tea ceremony room.

There, an older girl was seated, sipping on a cup of green tea.

"Ah, Shinobu," she called out upon watching her little sister enter.

"Nee-san..." Shinobu huffed in response. "Weren't you in charge of making dinner today..."

"Hm?" Kanae took the opportunity to ponder deeply over this piece of information.

She then came to a striking revelation, "Oh yeah... You're right!"

"Then why isn't anything made yet..." Shinobu answers sardonically.

"Because I forgot!" Kanae gives a thumbs up, as if this was a venerable accomplishment of some sort.

Shinobu facepalms herself, "You know what? I'm not even gonna bother at this point."

"Aww, do you want your Onee-chan to cook something for you? Maybe ginger sukhodoni?" Kanae coaxed whilst also teasing as usual.

Shinobu was nearly drawn into the offer but was ultimately unconvinced.

She sighs, "Nee-san... You're going to have to do better than that."

"Oh dear, you don't want ginger sukhodoni?"

"Well, it's not that I don't want it..." Shinobu was once again fighting the urge.

"See? You LOVE my cooking!" Kanae teases.

"Well, yeah," Shinobu acknowledges. "But this isn't about that—we're talking about you lacking a sense of responsibility for household chores here!"

"Whaa?? Noo waaay, I always do my share of the chores," Kanae lightly protests.

"Yeah, that's cause I have to remind you every time," Shinobu rebukes.

"And you're such a sweetie for that, Shinobu~"

"Don't even try to change the subject, Nee-san," Shinobu replies sternly, knowing her sister too well to fall for such 'innocent' tricks.

"I can't help it," Kanae whines, "my Hashira duties eat up too much of my time."

"And yet, you have time to laze around drinking tea?" Shinobu retorts.

"... Even Hashiras need a break every now and then, you know?" Kanae concocts an excuse.

"Nee-san, I can't tell if you're hard-working or just lazy," Shinobu remarks dryly.