Chapter 4: Into the Darkness

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to thank every one of you who has taken the time to read this book. It is uplifting to read your courteous words and to receive notifications of other means that evoke your indispensable approval. I must therefore give my thanks to you all.

Also, sorry about the lack of updates as I've been extremely busy thanks to school and studies. But I shall nonetheless try to consistently write more chapters in a shorter period of time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What was hitherto an imperturbable early morning situated within the relatively tranquil and sedated environment that enclosed the Corps' headquarters had now transitioned into something else entirely. 

The early morning hours within the decrepit and dilapidated premises of the old, Meiji-era suburbs of Yokohama lacked such a placid substance that defined the aforementioned vicinity bordering the Corps' headquarters. 

The incense of burning coal and heavy fumes exhaled from the smokestacks of a multitude of factories could easily—much to the contempt of the city's denizens—perpetuate a riveting effect on the plethora of noses that occupy the area to discern such a revolting stench. 

Moreover, aside from the repulsive scent, the lively ambiance that engrossed the metropolis with its commotion and clamor merely served to act as a catalyst for further disruption and heated exchanges between individuals as no sane person could possibly ignore the loud, obtrusive babel that ruptured the composure of far too many.

Despite these negligible circumstances abrogating one's wishes and desires for a good night's rest, there were still plenty of persons whose natural capacity—or incapacity, if one were to perceive this differently—to garner enough equanimity in the backdrop of turbulence permitted the facilitation of a greatly-coveted and well-rested sleep. 

Amongst them, it included the two Hashiras: Giyuu and Shinobu—with the latter especially attuned to the inner workings of an everlasting habit one could only best summarize in four distinct words: not a morning person...

..

..

..

..

Giyuu

I slowly lifted my eyelids only to find the Sun's unabashed rays incandescently shining upon my eyes concurrent with a full display of its coruscating glimmer throughout the configurations of this small room. 

While a dark shadow still enclosed some sections of the room, they were mostly confined to the corners and other subsections that simply cannot accumulate the sun's persistent beam of photons navigating its way through the various pieces of translucent glass held together by a sash of dark-brownish wood.