Prologue: A New Mission

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laughter.

Smiles.

Flowers.

Happiness.

The four distinct characteristics that could be discerned within the vicinity of this particular setting. I fervently laugh as I aimlessly run through the myriad of flowers prevalent within this particular heath. My elder sister smiles as she spectates my outburst of jubilance; she is happy, I am happy. It was a happy time.

"Nee-san!" I called out as I turned around and scampered my way towards my beloved sister.

She was the only family I really had; she's the only one who always looked out for me with her loving embrace. She was the mother I never knew, the only one who reciprocated the appreciation I expressed towards her back to me with affection. Without her, I'd be nothing and no one—I would be deprived of the very thing for which we humans require as a source of purpose and hope. Therefore, I would do everything to protect this moment, this life. 

To protect her.

"Nee-san!" I exclaim as I approach her.

Her arms open up, both extending out in a manner that conspicuously served as an indication of a warm, affectionate hug. In response, I willingly and gladly jump into her embrace.

"Giyuu..." she said in an almost melancholic tone.

Taking notice of this abnormal and sudden transition in my sister's demeanor, I asked, "What's wrong Nee-san?"

"YOU..." her voice suddenly shifted from that of an aura elucidated by a maiden to that of a demon...

"N-Nee-san..." I said as I slowly backed away from her grasp, full of fear and terror.

Her body suddenly convulsed and transmuted from the petite and slender shape of a young woman to that of an irregularly-shaped demon whose limbs coalesced and materialized into a sort of shadowy figure—albeit, with protrusions that prevented a perfect transformation into a glossy carcass. However, within seconds, this shadow soon opened up to showcase a figure whose body shape was completely different from that of my sister's. 

Despite the change in appearance, this monster still harbored the soothing voice of my sister. However, the mannerisms that complemented such a voice had all but dissipated. Instead, the phonetic pattern espoused by this altered voice exuded that of anger, fear, and distaste for the boy that stood right in front of her.

"You coward... You killed me..." she growled as she gradually encroached upon me.

Water enveloped my eyes at the sight of this sinister being, "No... I didn't... I couldn't do anything..."