Chapter 13: Rematch

Disclaimer:

I do not own nor claim all the rights to 鬼滅の刃 | Kimetsu no Yaiba | Demon Slayer; all rights are reserved to its respective creator, Koyoharu Gotōge. This is purely a work of fiction; names, characters, businesses, events, localities, and occurrences are all extrapolated from the author's writings and imagination or utilized in a fictitious manner. As such, any direct or indirect references to actual entities, dead or alive, or events do not, in any shape or form, resemble the opinions of the author.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..." = Dialogue

'...' = Internal monologues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly underestimated the length of this chapter.

At the time of writing this, it was around 12,500 words so far. And it still wasn't complete!

So, I had to split it again.

The rest will be published within two days from now.

Sorry if this chapter's a bit boring, just know that I initially intended it to be a part of something that was WAAAY too big.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The large, humanoid demon lurked around in the darkness, attempting to locate its prey. It sought to devour and digest the flesh of its two enemies; it was quite hungry.

It growled in frustration.

The unearthly quiet of these eerie tunnels exuded the precariousness of the contemporary state of peace. Essentially, while–at the present moment–the vicinity was in a doldrum, the present endorsement of tranquility was but a temporary measure.

In reality, a great disturbance to this uneasy peace was bound to occur. It was the most auspicious moment to commence such a battle between the predator and its prey...

*Splash*

*Splash*

With large, laborious footsteps, the demon lurched forward through the mire. The slough seemed to extend for several kilometers on end; it was a large expanse of water that constituted a large portion of the old sewage apparatus.

Metallic and man-made protrusions, including pipelines and concrete walls, made their presence ubiquitous. Nevertheless, there was indeed some verdure and other natural undergrowth that had begun to engulf the artificial environment with its slow, but eventual inundation of the system–proving that forces of nature always emerge victorious against any adversary, man-made or not, in the test of time.

The demon stopped advancing.

It smelled something. The smell of fresh, rather than decaying, flesh.

It then surveyed the proximity in order to discern this abnormal scent it was detecting.

It rotated 180 degrees clockwise and scrutinized its rearview.

Then, it spotted him.

Giyuu stood about 100 meters (109 yards) away. He stared at the demon with a look of indefatigability.

If one were to view him from the perspective of the demon, he would appear to be a speck of dot. The enemy, however, harbors extraordinary visual prowess and its optical organs had the ability to closely examine Giyuu from such a prodigious amount of distance.