Chapter 7 - There's Something About Him [Sonic POV]

[SONIC]

"Guys! I found him!!" I yelled to Knuckles and Rouge. Within seconds they appeared by my side.

"Holy shit!!" exclaimed Knuckles.

"Oh Shadow, baby, what has happened to you?" Rouge cried out and knelt down next to me.

Knuckles gasped and reached down to grab some berries that were laying in the dust next to Shadow.

"Guys, this is bad," the colour drained from his face.

"What is it Knuckles?" I asked, alarmed by his state of shock.

"Deadly nightshade. I think he's been poisoned." He opened his hand to show us the small, dark purple berries.

My heart stopped. Poisoned? But why... My vision started to go blurry and I felt like I was going to faint. Nothing was making sense right now.

"So is he..." Rouge didn't want to say it but we both knew what she was getting at.

Knuckles got on the floor next to Shadow's limp body, put his head on his chest and frowned. The next few moments seemed to last a lifetime. I wanted to cry. I have never been close to Shadow but I've always admired him from a far. Not that I've ever admitted that to anyone. I was so scared for him. Please let him be ok...

"He's alive, but only just," Knuckles said hurriedly. "I'd say we've only got a matter of minutes to do something."

He jumped to his feet and ran into the forest.

"Knuckles man, where are you going?!" I panicked. Only a matter of minutes? To do what?! I felt so helpless staring at Shadow lifeless on the floor. I felt angry at myself that I didn't know how to help him. Damnit why have I never tried to learn anything about plants! 

I placed my hand over Shadow's heart and whispered "Shadow man, if you get through this, I promise I'll make sure nothing bad ever happens to you again."

What was I saying? Why do I care so much? My concern for Shadow in this moment was overwhelming. No one has ever evoked such strong emotions in me before, not even Tails when I found out he saved my life.

Tears pricked my eyes as I noticed Shadow's fur had started to turn grey. The smell of stale blood in Shadow's vomit that he was laying in was turning my stomach. This was too much, I was about to pass out.

Knuckles came crashing back out through the forest with a handful of tiny leaves.

"Someone get me some water!" He shouted.

I tried to stand up but I was in shock and my legs didn't move. Rouge grabbed a pan that was among the mess on the ground and glided down towards the small stream that ran alongside Shadow's den. She returned within seconds with a full pan of water.

"Sonic, can you sit Shadow up?" Knuckled yelled at me.

"I... Uh..." I suddenly felt nervous about touching Shadow. I've never been this close to him before...

"Just do it! Quickly!!"

I reached down and put my arms around Shadow's body, trying to ignore the sticky bodily fluids that he was covered in. Carefully sliding my hands behind his back and supporting his head and neck. I hauled his droopy figure into a sitting position and slid up behind him, holding him tightly from behind with my arms and legs. It was surprisingly hard to support his unconscious body; he weighed an absolute ton. My hands grasped his chest as I did my best in keeping him upright. I couldn't believe how muscly he was under all that fur...

Knuckles knelt down in front of us and was mashing the handful of small, dark green leaves in his palms. When they had formed a paste he opened Shadow's mouth and placed the paste under his tongue.