Chapter 31 - Truth Serum - Part Six - Unbreakable Bonds [Everyone POV]

[AMY]

The timer rang and we all gathered around the hat again. It was the sixth round, meaning we only have two more chats left to go. Knuckles promptly held up his hat for me to pick first.

"Shadow"

Shadow looked at me. His expression didn't change but he gave me a small nod and signalled over to the bushes. I picked myself up and followed him.

"So Shadow," I began in a teasing tone, "A little birdy tells me that you're into my favourite hedgehog!"

I expected him to groan and start defending himself, but he surprised me with his answer.

"Aren't I your favourite hedgehog?" he said looking me dead in the eyes.

"I- uh-" I spluttered, caught off guard.

"I'm joking Amy." He replied in a warm tone but without cracking a smile.

"You? Joking?! Since when did you start joking Shadow?" I laughed back at him. "So how did it happen? When did you realise you were in love?"

The black hedgehog looked like he was about to get irritated, but he hid it well. Soon his expression relaxed but he still seemed uneasy.

"There's something to it, I promise you Amy," he said finally. There was a look in his eyes I'd never seen before, a deep longing, a silent prayer for something good to happen in his life for once.

My heart felt a pang of empathy as I recognised the feeling of wanting to be loved. Emotion took over me and I pulled him into a friendly hug. His body tensed under my embrace.

"It's ok Shadow, don't be afraid. I know it's scary falling in love sometimes but you can't hold yourself back. Otherwise you might never know what may become!"

He stayed silent but gently put his arms around me and hugged back.

"Thank you Amy," he said solemnly.

We stood there in silence for a few moments.

I decided to lighten the mood. "Plus you've got the greatest catch of them all!" I giggled.

He put his arms down and stepped back from me looking me in the eyes.

"I know. This is unreal. Something is different this time. I feel it in every ounce of my being."

A little twinge of envy tried to creep over me as I thought of how many years I had pursued the one who's heart now belonged to Shadow. I quickly pushed away my feelings remembering my decision to stay strong and move on.

"Well I'm happy for you," I said, forcing myself to be brave and pulled myself together.

If Shadow can find love I know I can too! I might have even found it already...

[ROUGE]

There were only two people I hadn't spoken to yet, both of whom I was looking forward to having a good chat with!

Knuckles looked at me with a bashful grin and held up his hat to me. I smiled back flirtatiously and chose a name.

"Cream"

Cream perked up at the sound of her name.

"Come on sweetheart!" I sang happily and grabbed her hand.

We chose the spot under the large mushrooms a few metres away and took a seat upon the soft grass.

Cream relaxed back against a small rock behind her and sighed deeply. I couldn't tell if it was a happy or sad sigh.