Chapter 29 - Truth Serum - Part Four - Confession Time [Everyone POV]

[SONIC]

Fifteen minutes was up and the sound of the timer rang out around us. I felt completely mind-blown at some of the stuff Blaze was telling me about dreaming. I had no idea there was more to it than just something that happens when you're asleep!

"Thanks so much Blaze, that was... eye opening," I said giving her a quick hug.

"You're so welcome!" she beamed back at me.

We walked back over to the group where everyone was waiting to start the next round.

"C'mon guys let's keep this moving!" Knuckles called over to us. "You might as well go first this time Sonic."

"Too easy!" I said and put my hand straight in the hat. Unfolding the paper I felt my stomach dip nervously when I read the name.

"Tails"

Ah crud. This is gonna be hella awkward!

Tails was frozen on the spot. He looked at me with uneasy eyes. I nodded in the direction round the side of Knuckles' cave, signalling him to follow me. We walked until we were out of sight and earshot from the others.

He was shaking and he had tears in his eyes. I hated seeing him like this, but I was still angry and confused about what I saw that in his spare room...

"S-sonic..." he said timidly after a long silence. "I need to explain some things."

"Yeah bud, I think that's probably a good idea," I replied.

We remained standing up. Tails stared at the floor and pushed around some dirt with his shoe.

"I- uh, I'm sorry about the camera footage. I should never have done that..." he trailed off.

"What on Mobius were you thinking?!" I cried. "Like, what made you do it?"

Tails blushed profusely. "I know it was stupid, I wish I'd never done it. And I was actually in the process of deleting it when you walked in!"

"But why Tails? Why?!" The hurt and betrayal I felt was coming to the surface. Tears started to prick my eyes.

"I was just curious-" he said.

"That's no excuse!" I shouted, "And why me?!"

"Because I wanted more Sonic!!" he yelled back, tears now rolling down his cheeks. "More than just being your 'best buddy,' more than just being the one you come and hang out with when you're bored, more than just being the one who has to fix all your problems!"

He paused to take a deep breath and continued.

"I knew you'd never see me the same way I saw you. I've kept my feelings for you a secret for years. I hid them so hard it became an obsession. It was just a really dumb idea to film you and I regretted it immediately. I even thought about telling you but I couldn't bring myself to do it. But this has made me realise Sonic, that if I couldn't be honest with you in the first place, then it's not a relationship that would work."

I stood there dumfounded. It was still too much to take in that Tails ever had feelings for me. But at least I had an explanation.

"Look," I said, "You've betrayed me and broken my trust. It is not ok to film someone without their consent. Do you even understand how bad this feels?"

Tails hung his head. I could tell even though he was hurt, he was deeply remorseful.

"I know Sonic, but do you understand how bad it feels to love someone and them not love you back?" he said.